Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1994 XLT Special and am new to snowmobiles.

Where are all of the grease zirks on the 1994 XLT?
What other maintenance points should I attend to before the winter?

·
Super Moderator
17,079 Posts
Should be one on each crossshaft in the rear suspension, two on the spindles, one on the speedometer adapter, may be one on the jackshaft bearing behind the secondary, one or two on the steering column, may have some on the steering linkage. It's an easter egg hunt finding 'em all :D

Clean the carbs and clutches, make sure the hyfax is in good shape, make sure no bearings are frozen in the bogey wheels in the rear suspension, change the chaincase oil and adjust the chain, make sure the belt is good and belt deflection and offset are correct. Lube all the ball joints on the radius rods and steering linkage with motor oil. Make sure the carbides or wear bars on the skis are still serviceable. Make sure the track is aligned and the skis are toed out no more than 1/4". How's the coolant? It may be time to drain, flush, and refill that as well. Check the brake pads and check brake fluid level. Lube the throttle and choke cables.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also going along with what BC said about the coolant. you will want to make sure the heat exchangers are in good working order with no holes. check the track make sure there are no rips or tears in it. you will also want to check the exhaust making sure there are no holes in it either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should be one on each crossshaft in the rear suspension, two on the spindles, one on the speedometer adapter, may be one on the jackshaft bearing behind the secondary, one or two on the steering column, may have some on the steering linkage. It's an easter egg hunt finding 'em all :D

Clean the carbs and clutches, make sure the hyfax is in good shape, make sure no bearings are frozen in the bogey wheels in the rear suspension, change the chaincase oil and adjust the chain, make sure the belt is good and belt deflection and offset are correct. Lube all the ball joints on the radius rods and steering linkage with motor oil. Make sure the carbides or wear bars on the skis are still serviceable. Make sure the track is aligned and the skis are toed out no more than 1/4". How's the coolant? It may be time to drain, flush, and refill that as well. Check the brake pads and check brake fluid level. Lube the throttle and choke cables.
One step back there.....
What is a jack shaft? What is a hyfax? how can I tell if a bearing is frozen, how can I move a wheel if the track is on? Does it use regular automotive coolant at 50/50?

The motor was rebuilt 150 miles ago and has a new track, so that is good I hope.

Thanks for the info. I will get on all this. I am new to this snowmobile thing. I have yet to drive this one. I got a 74 TNT for my first sled last year.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The jack shaft is the shaft between the secondary clutch and the chain case which also has your brakes attached to it. the hyfax is the hard plastic the goes on the bottom of your suspension rail where your track runs. they are wear items that need to be replaced from time to time. The coolant should be the same as regular automotive (green in color).

To check the bearings you should be able to lift the back of the sled off the ground and be able to reach your idler wheels to check the bearing. Most should move without loosening the track. you back axle prob will need the track loosened to check those bearings.

A frozen bearing is one that does not rotate. you should also replace any idler bearing that seems to have some (grinding) sluggish movement when rotoated. this would be preventative because you dont want one blowing up when out on the trails.

·
Super Moderator
17,079 Posts
You should get the Clymer's Polaris Snowmobile Repair manual. It has a TON of awesome info on how sleds work and how to repair and maintain a sled properly. Well worth the bucks you will pay.

Here's the Amazon link to it; you may be able to find it elsewhere cheaper.

Amazon.com: Polaris Snowmobile Shop Manual 1990-1995 (Clymer Snowmobile Repair Series) (9780892876495): Ron Wright, Mark Jacobs: Books

Good luck! There's lots of good info in the engine/drivetrain part of the forum under the "how to" stickys at the top, too.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Another name for hyfax is slides. Usually black in color and run the length of the suspension rails. The track rides on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts