Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to snowmobiling I just naught my first sled it’s a 1994 Polaris Indy trail 488 fan cooled engine it runs great but I need to change the oil so what would be a good oil to use thanks zach

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Are you talking about the chaincase or the 2-stroke oil? If it's the 2-stroke oil, if the oil is clean, there is no reason to change it. Any 2-stroke oil that meets the TC-W3 spec will work fine.

Polaris sells a specific chaincase fluid for their sleds, but like Steve said, ATF would work about as well.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Chaincase in those does not use ATF Fluid from factory. They now call for using Full Synthetic chaincase oil from Klotz, Polaris or AMSOIL. Yeah you can use ATF it but you will be changing it EVERY year then vs the proper oil from Klotz or Amsoil or Polaris. Only snowmobiles I ever saw call for ATF from factory was our old Yamaha.

For the injecting oil just use Polaris Blue or something similar as Dan said.

·
Registered
364 Posts
And you need to check/add 2 stroke oil to the oil tank when you fill the sled up with gas. A 2 stroke burns the oil as it runs. This sled does not have a 4 stroke engine like your car/truck has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts