Snowmobile Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
I've put a good battery in mine so many times I've lost count. That system stinks. Polaris knows it as well. They admitted as such to the dealers when they sent a letter to us saying we didn't have to order any RXL or EFI 500s because of all the issues they had with them. They would understand it if we the dealer did not want to sell them anymore and we didn't.

I've got the software, I've got the hookup for it. I've even used a Polaris EFI tool for it since I know the guys at Polaris up here and nothing comes up wrong and yet it runs like garbage all the time. Doesn't matter what we do it never wants to idle right, doesn't matter if we have put in new injectors, new filters, fuel pump and so on and so on and so on. I am trying one last thing and that is the fuel pressure regulator as that is the only part that hasn't been replaced if it doesn't work it is getting junked. Had enough of it and it is a back-up snowmobile anyways.
Maybe your timing got moved sometime and it is a little retarded.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Well yesterday I put a new battery in the machine to rule that out and like I expected nothing changed still not getting fuel馃槨

Registered
Well yesterday I put a new battery in the machine to rule that out and like I expected nothing changed still not getting fuel馃槨
Well if this sled came in my garage I would verify that my new battery could maintain at least 12.4 volts at rest, hopefully more. Then I would hook up the Select Monitor and see if you have a tach signal. Since you don't have a SM I would check the wires at the cdi units and unplug them and plug them back in again. Those should be single wires, one should be for kill switch and should be another one for a tach signal.

When you start it, are you giving it a half crank first to activate the fuel pump? Then you hear no noise from fuel pump? I still haven't got my sleds out yet so my memory is still foggy on this stuff. I'm getting them out later this week. It is easier to find a deal on 2 carbs than it is to find 3 for my RXL's. I would almost convert my RXL's to carbs just so i wouldn't have to buy batteries all the time but I never see any good deals on 3 carbs. I do seem to find deals on 2 carbs more often. I hate to see you give up on it though. You can buy your own Select Monitor on ebay for usually around $100. They are very handy when you own one of these sleds.

coolhand will tell you to buy some carbs any time now lol

Registered
smh facts are if you look majority of people converted them over. Lot's of people around here have said but yet you make a comment towards me because I've said it as well. Whatever I guess all those people who did it didn't try anything before converting...sure believe what you want but it was and is a horrible system when comparing it to other EFI's from other makers.

As I said buy the harness for 20-35 bucks and download the software works the bloody same and is cheaper as well. And the 500 EFI's are going to use 38mm carburetors not 34.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Have you tried to switch polarity on your pump? (run it backward a minute)
I am not sure what that would prove because I can wire the fuel pump directly to battery and it will pump fuel like crazy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
I started this forum and will now tell you I just finished turning the sled from a EFI to carbs and now it runs like a charm! I post a picture of the "junk" I took out! Will sell the "junk" for $5,000 or best offer馃槀
This will solve all your issues with the efi system.

Attachments

Registered
Told ya! Yet I am laughed at by someone here for saying that system is junk along with the fact those EFI systems had issues from the get go to the point the dealerships were given an option finally to stock them or not because of how bad they are.

Post that junk up on eBay someone will buy it they always do!

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
I haven't talked to anyone yet that has anything good to say about the EFI system Polaris put in in the 1993, 1994 models. And now I can say from personal experience that they are junk. Like I said the sled runs good now!! Thanks to everyone who gave input on here!

Registered
It's really not that complicated by 2021 standards. Back in 92 a TPS or a temp sensor or an ECM got everybody all confused. Nowadays it's as basic as you could get.

I did convert my 78 Cadillac multi-point fuel injection to a carburetor back in the 90's. I couldn't figure that crap out back then. I just bought another one and I should be able to figure out the fuel injection this time around.

Registered
No not really even back then people knew what they were doing with those systems be it on a car or a snowmobile. They were junk then they are junk now. I'm glad you have gotten so lucky but the overwhelming majority of the people that have them have issues, it isn't some made up thing that people are saying about them. When Polaris was giving us an option to stock and sell them that says something right there about how bad it was then and they knew it. Unlike Cat which was ten times better even then.

Registered
Weird huh? I have 5 RXL's that all run perfect and start 2nd crank every time. I just got the last one going the other day. It was full of leaves and ice under the hood. I melted it out and vacuumed the leaves and put a battery in it. It started 2nd crank just like every other RXL and ran nice and crisp. I doubt anybody has adjusted anything on all my RXL's since they left the factory. I can't figure out what troubles people are having because the sensors are so basic. If one ever failed the ECM tells you which one it is. So simple. They just need a good battery.

Registered
I know people including myself who have used the best batteries around to the cheap ones to lawn mower batteries and not a damn one has made a difference. That ECU doesn't always show codes nor does the software. Been there done that too many times to count back in the '90s and with this current one I am getting ready to part out. Take out the computer crap and bam they run perfect every time. If it was such a great system Polaris would have kept it going for much longer then the 8 years or so it did nor would have they told us dealerships in Illinois it was up to us if we wanted to stock them which we didn't. We only ordered them when someone wanted one and the one season out of the 400 we sold 5 were the EFI and 3 were returned within 30 days & exchanged as we decided to do that in house as we would warn the people buying them. They knew they messed up hence why they took it completely out of the options after that one year. Especially since they made the Fuji for a few years after that as well even into the Edge machines. We all know there are ones that make it through no matter if the run had major issues it is like that in any product. I know way too many people including Polaris Techs who buy those just for the setup and convert them right away to carbed machines and then sell them making a nice profit each and every time along with then selling the stuff on eBay making even more money.

Registered
They truly were ahead of their time. I don't even know how to make them fail. Probably people that put the battery booster on it when it won't start and fry stuff.

Registered
And I put a Holley ProJection on my 79 Suburban!
Cat EFI has always been spot on!
So what is it about the Polaris that is so wrong?

Registered
It needs a good battery. I have always been envious of the cat batteryless EFI. It's hard to keep a tiny battery fully charged with a marginal small engine charging system. I use a battery tender quite often but not always. Sometime you actually get a good battery that will hold a decent charge and doesn't need the trickle charger. I see a lot of people drag out the big battery booster when things don't start. I have a feeling some Polaris EFI owners resort to that thinking when the sled won't start. I can't think of any way to sabotage the system unless I fried stuff with high amperage.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
I am sorry but if the battery were the biggest problem I don't think this discussion were on here and you would not see 90% of these sleds converted to carbs...

Registered
Right
My 95 Pantara 580efi needs a good battery!
And I would run her against bout any 600!

Registered
Sorry but whenever mine was not being used as soon as I got back to the garage it was ripped out and put on a schumacher battery tender. Can't tell me that I am doing that wrong. It just isn't the battery. If someone is stupid enough to put a booster on it then that is on them. But majority of owners know better then that.

Every snowmobile forum you go to that system was a known issue in the '90s and is now.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts