Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got this sled running after it sat for 15 yrs. The fuel line was rotted out in tank which I replaced and sucked old gas out and put in fresh gas and the machine started right up!! The owner came and picked up sled and when he got home it won't run. He brought the sled back and I have 120 psi compression on both cylinders, good spark on both cylinders. If I put gas in spark plug hole it will start and run till gas burns out of cylinders. I pull fuel line off of fuel rail and no matter if I turn key to run position or crank engine over I cannot get fuel to come. I disconnect electrical wires going to fuel pump and hot wire to battery and fuel pump will pump fuel and you can hear the pump running. I have cleaned the main ground on engine. I have checked voltage on battery and load tested it with good results. I have swapped relays for fuel pump and shutoff relay with no different results. I am leaning towards either both relays are bad or ignition switch is bad. I am ready to pull my hair out on this machine! Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
This is why people convert them to 38mm carburetors and junk that EFI system. Is the computer giving any codes? Not that this would stop it from running but Tygon in the gas tank with the weighted fuel filter on the end of it at the lowest part of the tank as well. Also the fuel pressure regulators are known to go out on them and can be had for 20-30 bucks as it is off a Nissan Car. Also the fuel filters should have been replaced as well. Fram G-4777 is the aftermarket replacement as it is also off a Nissan car and before all that and right after the gas tank should be another filter or a filter on the fuel rail as well. I bought my fuel regulator for mine on ebay for 23 bucks shipped. Filters are probably clogged all to hell from sitting and having old gas in them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel pump will pump like crazy with fuel shooting out of fuel line at fuel rail when I hot wire the fuel pump. The computer is not showing any codes that I can see

·
Registered
2,377 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
No problem, nice thing is that main fuel filter is 8-12 bucks vs the 80 Polaris wants,lol. I even got a dealer up here to check that out, he called me up and said he was switching to the aftermarket version. Said he was paying less for the filter from Auto Zone then he was from Polaris. And yet he could still charge 40 bucks for it and people were paying it vs the 80 and paying 40-50 bucks his cost a filter. Polaris is known for doing stuff like this using parts off of cars.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Same with the stupid fuel pressure regulator I linked above. I am going to try and fix mine one more time and after that I am parting the b**tard out! I've had enough of working on it.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
eBay, salvage yards and people junking out snowmobiles are about the only places to get that stuff anymore. Should be the same regardless if its a RXL or 500 but look it up on polaris browse drop down menus sno, then year then model. Ignore that it isn't available it works just fine

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you guys had a Select Monitor it has a function to cycle the FPR and get it un-stuck. If it isn't injecting fuel, maybe it lost the tach signal from the cdi box. I haven't gotten my fuel injection memory up to speed yet this season.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I posted the link up above to download the software and buy the harness to hook up via usb to your computer. Mine is not stuck at all. Facts are that EFI system sucks it sucked back then and it sucks now. There is a reason why people switched them to carburetors on so many of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What all needs to be switched to turn it over to a carb machine? What approximately does it cost?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I posted the link up above to download the software and buy the harness to hook up via usb to your computer. Mine is not stuck at all. Facts are that EFI system sucks it sucked back then and it sucks now. There is a reason why people switched them to carburetors on so many of them.
Some of these sleds are almost 30 years old and still running fine. They can be reliable if you keep good batteries in them. People make it out to be so complicated but it's as basic as they could make it. It's just a couple sensors and a pcm. Nowadays people won't even drive a car tht has a carburetor. People just can't believe that the little battery they bought last year is now not suficient to run the Polaris EFI system. I always feel lucky if I can get 2 years out of one of those tiny batteries. The 500 is slightly different than the 650's but it's badically the same. My brother bought a 500 efi brand new and drove it 10+ years with no issues.

2 strokes do flood easily. If you try to start it with a weak battery it will get flooded and you will have to start changing spark plugs while trying to diagnose it. If the tach wire comes unplugged the pcm won't know to pump fuel, happened to me once. One time I crossed the wires to the engine temp and air temp, sled wouldn't run right. Simple little mistakes can screw it up and make you pull your hair out. MY EFI has never left me stranded on the trail though.

·
Registered
25,720 Posts
To swap it over you really just need to go to Hat Days Swap meet!
You could pick up a pair of carbs for $50 with cables and flanges and all!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
That EFI system sucked. I've had good batteries new ones right out of the box. Expensive AGM batteries to the cheap ones to the so called Yuasa's. And yet people convert them like crazy to carburetors and sell of the EFI components all the time on eBay, craigslist and facebook marketplace. By far one of the worst EFI systems ever built for a snowmobile. I worked at Polaris dealer in the mid '90s and we had issues with the EFI system constantly from the factory.

Really 2 strokes flood easily? Wow never knew that in 42 years of snowmobiling! lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is how I buy my RXL's so cheap. People just can't figure them out. I have 5 of them. I buy them cheap,put a good battery in them, and they start 2nd crank every time. I haven't bought a defective one yet and they are approaching 30 years old.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I've put a good battery in mine so many times I've lost count. That system stinks. Polaris knows it as well. They admitted as such to the dealers when they sent a letter to us saying we didn't have to order any RXL or EFI 500s because of all the issues they had with them. They would understand it if we the dealer did not want to sell them anymore and we didn't.

I've got the software, I've got the hookup for it. I've even used a Polaris EFI tool for it since I know the guys at Polaris up here and nothing comes up wrong and yet it runs like garbage all the time. Doesn't matter what we do it never wants to idle right, doesn't matter if we have put in new injectors, new filters, fuel pump and so on and so on and so on. I am trying one last thing and that is the fuel pressure regulator as that is the only part that hasn't been replaced if it doesn't work it is getting junked. Had enough of it and it is a back-up snowmobile anyways.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts