Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I got a 1994 Indy 440 that is "fishtailing" and very hard to steer. I don't know whether the problem is with the steering, or something with the track. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it's hardpack. It's a groomed trail. In the powder in my yard, it doesn't have much steering control at all.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
Even if it's groomed, if it's powder- that's going to happen. Even with our new sleds we were all over the trail with no control at all. Powder doesn't give the sled anything to grip on.

If it's hardpack then you're probably dealing with darting issues which happens on all older (and some newer) sleds. There are some accessories to help that though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. What type of accesories would you say might help? The sled is my 16 year old daughters and I feel like I'm allowing her to ride a "deathtrap" the way it is now!

·
Registered
318 Posts
You're track tension could be loose...check that and possibly consider dual carbides! And I would assume thats pretty normal for a 94' indy polaris so I wouldn't worry about it too much!

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
I got a new set of plastic ski's off ebay last year and it helped a ton. they have xtra runners on the bottom thats stops the darting. all she is doing is getting in all the other tracks that are on the trail and it will make her azz end slide also. does it have studs?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes, studs would help!

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
Check the carbides on the skis and make sure your track has equal tention on both sides. You should have about an inch and a quarter clearance in the middle of the skid when on a stand; this is consitered loose, but loose=fast. Also grease all your fittings like on ste spindals and suspention; there should be three points in the skid to grease. Hope this helps.

One other option is to stud the track with some high quality studs if its not studed already, this will help a lot trail riding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your advice. I looked under the sled and the damn rear shock wasn't even attached! So I re-attached it, tighteded the track, went for a ride and the damn rear idler wheel fell off! I give up!

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
check the clips! had one break, and ate up my slide. Also, lean in powder. If you have small lugs <1" and have no studs you WILL fishtail. I just spun out on a corner;) over 360*!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts