Snowmobile Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It is a factory 2 seater because my dad bought it when it was only 3 years old then sold it to my uncle we just got it back. It doesn't say touring on it any where though

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yes that was an added option to add the 2nd seat. I know I worked at Polaris back then. Does the hood look like this?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Okay give me a few minutes I have found the stuff you need on the shock and the suspension springs. New OEM Polaris ones for 40 bucks but I need to double check them...So hold on.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Okay this is the one for the left side. SPI brand and they are the same as Kimpex made in the same bloody factory. They interchange a ton of part numbers.

Right side 2Fastmoto is the same as well. Cracks me up that all these people use the same stupid plant.

Okay for the shock. I have used this exact shock on my '93 Indy 440 and it made a world of a difference.

So the shock was right,lol. This will give you time to order them and get them for next week since we have time. Allow you to find out exactly what bearings are in there as ICR right now.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Nope, I have a 1998 Indy 440 L/C with a Factory Sno Pro test engine in it, a '97 Indy 500 and a '92 500 EFI. The EFI has been sitting for 3 years and I have to fix the idle which I plan on doing soon. The other two are all clutched out with plastic skis. That 440 was confirmed by Polaris as a Test Bed Engine for the Sno Cross series and has extra connections on it for the test equipment. Never seen a 440 run like this one even the 3 Polaris Dealerships that I have taken it to around here and the place in Illinois which was a Polaris dealer, all said this wasn't supposed to make it to the general public and it did.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Wow that's cool that one must be a keeper for sure which dealer in illinois do you go to I'm live aurora IL? I also have a 1997 polaris xlt 600 limited. I love these snowmobiles just need to learn how to fix them as I just got into the sport.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I went to Lissy's in Wilmington as that is where we bought it and lived. They went out of business a long time ago the original owner started it out of his shop in the 1970s and was out in the middle of nowhere before he expanded into a real shop in the late '80s. Originally born in Joliet and grew up on the Kankakee river for 25 years. Now we live an hour north of Green Bay. I was working at J. Merle Jones when I got offered a job up here when I came to visit my parents as my dad had retired from Mobil Oil in 2000 as he helped build it and it is the last Oil Refinery ever built in the United States was also the 1st Star Refinery every in history in the US. He was also their Jet Engine Mechanic as he was one of the Foreman Machinists so between boats, snowmobiles, quads, dirt bikes, cars and electronics I ended up with some very expensive hobbies. Even used to drag race at Chicago-Land Speedway for a couple years but it was too bloody expensive to do 3-5K once or twice a year depending on what happened with the engine or transmission..

Put it this way....I don't miss the smog filled stress filled area but I miss the food! lol Merichkas in Joliet, Portillos, Caputo's Grocery stores...I come down once a year normally with 4 or 5 coolers to fill up for a year for me and my parental units.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow you have a very cool background and can see why you are so knowledgeable with these snowmobiles wish you were closer to me I could've brought my snowmobile over to you so you could help me first hand with it. Lol

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
lol I am now disabled and I don't do much work on them anymore. That happened in 2004 and have since been diagnosed with an extremely rare syndrome to the point that it isn't studied here in the US only overseas where it was 1st found back in the early 1960s. My doctor at Mayo was German and diagnosed me after fighting it for close to 8 years. I've had 102 surgeries since I turned 16. Up till 2004 I had IIRC 6 surgeries since then it has been every year. Almost died 6 or 7 times in the past 10 years as well. Spent Nov 2010 in ICU critical but stable from gangrene, staph and blood sepsis. Which then put me in a nursing home for 3 weeks where I got MRSA and since then and thank god not since 2015 around 30 massive cysts. My story is long so I won't go any further but it is a tale of I should not be alive right now for sure. I look at it this way and learned this a long time ago...I have a roof over my head, food on the table, tv & internet along with parents who understand I can't do much even though they are 65 and 74 now. They come every 2-3 days to help clean the house and my dad rode snowmobiles for close to 50 years and has since retired. I should not ride and I don't but 2 or 3 times a year. But it is hard when they and myself live next to snowmobile trails and then I hear those 2 stroke engines flying down the trail....I get that itch all over again,lol. Plus the 1st start up of the season gets me. Some years I don't go at all but we keep them tip top shape if we end up with 35 inches in 72 hours like we once did a couple years ago. Everything was shut down only way to get anywhere was by snowmobile so that is what I did and they did in order to still get stuff at the store.

If you want to know more feel free to msg me but yeah I got lucky with my dad as much as he drives me crazy to this day without him I wouldn't know how to build computers, as we 1st did that in 1986 as he was also their computer security expert. He would build a security for their plant and install it at home and ask me to hack it. Usually within 1-2 hours I was in. But it was his way of teaching me how to code and do stuff. He is 74 and still looks like he is in his 30s or 40s. Same with my mom. Everyone is shocked when I tell them after they 1st meet them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm sorry you have to go through this I couldn't imagine having to go through that I hope you continue to feel well for a long time , I'm just 17 years old and saved enough to buy these snowmobiles and have never actually ridden one yet can't wait for the snow.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
One good thing I will say is that the XLT is you bought the '97 & '98 had their issues worked out by then with that engine. Before that they had a lot of issues. Also do not pipe it that will end up causing issues. I argue with others on here in the past about that with the Mono-Block but it does cause issues in the crankcase. Before '97 they had said issues with crank, oiling issues, oil pump and so on. Finally by then they had upgraded all of that. How Polaris never got sued over that engine is mind boggling considering the amount of stuff they used to send us in order to fix said issues back then.

And thank you, yeah it has been rough but I am alive and that is all that matters at 43. You are 17 and have a whole life ahead of you. Main thing is you learn correctly the 1st time how to do stuff. Yes you will make mistakes we all did but then you will sit there and look at it and think "wtf that isn't right why did I do that?". Also in that Polaris site I sent you for the PDF service manual there is one called '96-98 service manual that will match up to your '97 XLT. Main thing is make sure all 3 carbs are clean and set right because that is one thing people forget carburetors should be cleaned every pre-season.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok,thank you for the info on the 97, is there any big problems with the 95 xlt 600. Also you are very kind to help beginners like me to not screw up everything on the snowmobiles

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yeah there was issues with that engine, I think by then they had done the oiling issue fix in the crank but then there was the oil pump issue. A lot of people upgraded to the 5 port oil pump that the '97s and '98s had. Personally I would stay away from the years 1993-1996 with that mono block design as also the XCR 600s had that as well during that time. There is so many of those engines out there for sale because it was what they made the most of yet they also had the most trouble out of them vs the 500 L/C and the 440 L/C Fujis or the 488 Fans which rarely had any trouble.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You have 3 snowmobiles? Including this one? "I also have a 1997 polaris xlt 600 limited"

IF it hasn't been piped and never modified then you should be ok. Just take it easy and make sure that the oil pump is working correctly. Also I would go to a Full Synthetic in all 3 snowmobiles. Just pump out all the old stuff and use it in a weed wacker or chainsaw. And go with Polaris VES Gold, AMSOIL or something that is known to work good. Farm & Fleet down there is a place that carries AMSOIL for a decent price. That is where I buy gallons from during the off-season at Fleet-Farm up here. Which is the same company just brothers and when their dad died he split the stores between them and created 2 companies,lol. Same products to a T but different names for tax purposes.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts