Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, on my snowmobile the suspension seems to be weak when you sit on it it goes down and when you get off doesn't really rebound. I am new to snowmobiling is this normal? Also I am going to be taking the suspension out to replace the spring adjuster block is there anything else that should be replaced? The sled has been sitting for most of its life not being used but has been outside. Any help would be appreciated Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Your best bet to learn anything is right here in the manuals.

You should be able to set the spring tension with those blocks you need to replace to allow a bit of sag when sitting on it, but enough rebound to not bottom out in the bumps.

If the rear is really not rebounding you may need new springs. Check the front and rear skid shocks too to make sure they're not toast.

·
Super Moderator
17,548 Posts
And while the suspension is out, check all the wheel bearings. It's easy to have one of those freeze up and ruin the wheel. If you have a bad bearing, plan on getting a good set of snap ring plyers, those circlips are a royal pain in the behind. A good set makes easy work of them.

Also, with the suspension out, it's a great time to remove both the cross shafts and clean and examine them. Remove any rust or dead grease and re-grease before reinstalling. That will help the suspension work as well as it can.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the info should grease come out somewhere while pumping the zerk or does the grease stay inside?

·
Registered
224 Posts
It'll usually come out the sides of the torque arms where the cross shafts are. Once it starts coming out you're good and greasy!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, yeah I can't even get grease to go in them I'll have to get new zerks or play around with them. Thanks

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Those springs and rear rear shock should be replaced by now. The shock from factory was a junk hydraulic shock and I would recommend a Kimpex Gold Gas shock along with Kimpex replacement springs. Those 2 things alone will help you out tremendously. Also I posted that link in your other thread about the blocks and that service manual. Should have it by now. All you have to do is right click and download it as a PDF file. Also replace the hyfax/slides if you have not yet done so. The Front Rear shock with the cover and big spring can be left alone if it hasn't been used much but over time those springs and rear rear shock go bad. Take the time and replace them now while it is out of the snowmobile.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I will do all of that thanks for the advice. And I saw the pdf and now know what to do for the blocks thanks again. One more question how do you replace these wheel bearings I hear about and how do you know if they are bad? are these bearings in the bogie wheels? Thanks

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Look at your other thread for how to do it :). For the bearings yes they are sealed but they wear out, to remove them you take the wheel off and then there is a circlip that you need those pliers for to remove, you remove that clip and then take a socket and a hammer to push it out, very simple to do. There is 2 sizes of bearings in those suspensions. I buy mine in 10 packs on amazon, just take the numbers on them plug them into a search on amazon and order a 10 pack of both and you will have extras as those bearings are also used in the chaincase should you ever have to replace them. 10 packs run around 10-20 bucks for a 10 pack, ebay has them as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, thanks, where can I find the kimpex springs I found them on Dennis kirk but they say they are not for my snowmobile on there website I found ones on parts unloaded but they are not kimpex?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Kimpex uses the part #04-271

Okay exactly what model is it? Is it liquid cooled or fan cooled and what does it say on the hood? All of this matters with regards to the spring.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The 2up seat was added then as they made at Touring model as well that was different and had a 133.5" track on it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts