Snowmobile Forum banner

1994 Polaris 440xcr special

728 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Coolhand 
#1 ·
I had a 440xcr special with no engine laying around in my yard. So with the parts I had at the time, I decided to build an engine to throw in it. I tried to start it but failed, struggled to find the problem for a few days. Turned out that when I would crank it, some coolant would manage to get in one of the cylinders which stops it from igniting and fouls the plug. I cant seem to find where it comes from. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know what could be causing this?

Just as a side note: I am wondering if a EC50PL-04 as a base and a EC45PL-05 for my cylinders could factor into this problem?

These are the results after pulling it over 3 times

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera lens Tread Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Automotive exterior

I cant see if it comes from below or above.
yes I know it needs a scrub.

See less See more
#2 ·
Bad o-rings on the cylinder head will cause that. Looks like someone has already had the cover off I would be replacing the head gaskets and o-rings and make sure the o-rings are seated correctly. Also you are using a 500 indy base? That might also have something to do with it if there is something not aligned correctly. Why did you use a 500 indy base?

#4 ·
I would switch bases to the 440. The XCR Special is a fast engine and it uses 38mm carbs just like the 500 but if it has the 2 piece exhaust from factory still along with the fact it has those heads and what not it will be a faster snowmobile then the 500. And with clutching oh man those things rock. And make sure you use the carb settings from that year XCR 440 as well when doing the carbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.