Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy and me have been wrenching on my sled and we are having a little trouble with it bogging, seems like when i get in deep snow it will bog down and not want to go anywhere, but if i raise the hood and let air in the motor will slowly race and the sled will take off again, now my clutch has been gone through and i don't believe that is the problem...my first suspicion is maybe my cooling system (thermostat) the antifreeze seems to be only luke warm after a few mins of hard runs up and down the street...and i'm not exactly sure the temp light works (haven't checked) i also seem to get a lot of smoke but i dunno if that has anything to do with it or that is normal..one other thing i found was a burn hole in the antifreeze line from the reservoir to the overflow...is this a cooling system problem or do i need to look elsewhere...thanks for any replies

·
Registered
121 Posts
Your sleds cooling system would'nt make it bog in deep snow. If your sled has been gone through by a dealer that does'nt meen its right. Dealers screw up more sleds than riders do. If your sleds bogging in deep snow its usually caused by the cluch set up. If your set up is stock it should'nt bog depending on how deep your talking. You said when you lift the hood it seems to clear out and run ok? Do you have an exaust leak under the hood? That will cause the sled to bog cause the sled needs fresh air to burn the fuel. You also said the sled smokes bad so I would be looking at the main jet size also. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i haven't found any leaks on the exhaust system..and i just put new spring, belt and shims on the clutch, thats why i doubt that was the problem, when its cool the clutch has no problem whatsoever engaging, its pretty quick out of the hole, but when i take a hard run down the street and turn around at the end where deeper snow is it just hesitates until i raise the hood, but like i said before the antifreeze is luke warm so i just wondered if that was part of the problem even though it needs to be looked at...why would it engage fine cold but not warm?

·
Registered
55 Posts
When you lift your hood do you have lots of snow on your engine and does it have grills over the vents?Could be as simple as having your wire shorting out because its to wet!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
how many miles on your sled? Does it only bog in deep snow after it warms up?Will it pull away on a hill?

My uncle had an old 88 Pantera that was like this.It was worse the warmer it got.Thought it was wore out.Replaced pistons, rings.Made no diff.

Turned out to be the needle jets.Replaced 'em along with new needles and everything is good now.

They wear from the constant vibration and make the mixture too rich everywhere other than idle and wot.

My zert is acting same way, I'm gonna order a new set of needle jets today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got a zr700 94 with the same problem i just bought the sled

hey man i got the same problem on the same sled just wondering if it was the jets or not if you can get back to me about this that would be great! [email protected] thanks for any reply

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Your jetting could be too rich, what do the plugs look like? Have you checked the center to center on your clutches? Also the belt could be worn too! The belt should ride out of the driven clutch about an 1/8"!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had this exact same problem on a 94 zr 580 turned out to be dryrotted intake boots put rear on a stand and get yourself a spray bottle full of water run the engine varing speed while you spray the heck out of the carb boots if it bogs or misses you will know if you need new boots. Hope this helps

·
Registered
136 Posts
i had a similer problem with one of my old sleds that when u opened the hood it ran fine...i got to lookin and one of the seals were out on the crank and by that time there was no saving it...dunno if that was the problem or not but i assumed it was

1 - 9 of 9 Posts