Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1994 Arctic cat 580 ext EFI mountain cat and I have heard that the pistons in it have a short piston skirt life. I wanted to ask if people knew of some top end rebuild kits for it that aren’t OEM, I just don’t have the money for OEM.

·
Super Moderator
1,812 Posts
LOL I have a set and a full gasket set in stock!
You need to realize one thing
Cat does NOT make any of the parts for there sleds, they assemble them!
That OEM manuf was Not Suzuki either!
So when I say OEM I do Not mean from the Dealer, the mark up they have is like 200 perecent!
Aftermarket OEM pistons are like $50 ea and so are the complete gasket sets!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thanks, I think I’ll be good this upcoming season. Gonna check the compression and will probably do a rebuild the next offseason

·
Super Moderator
1,812 Posts
LOL Just looked in my 2018 book but my cost is like $65 and the complete gasket set with seals is $30!
So a complete top end kit is $150 about!
And I would go threw it NOW while you have time and way BEFORE she blows!

·
Registered
149 Posts
So does the short skirt life apply to the carb motor also? If so, I might need a kit too.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,127 Posts
The ZR engines seemed to be a bit more prone to it than the ZL, probably due to less power in the ZL but carb vs EFI... pretty much the same. The good thing is, they are easy to work on :) This one was from a 94 Carb 580...
20200429_160707.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
my ZL 580efi went at 3500mi. and also took out the crank. Guy whom I bought the sled from said it was running great as always and then boom

·
Super Moderator
1,812 Posts
If they have never ran as good, it is about to blow!
Going threw the top end of a 580 is simple, done it in the back end of my box truck on the way to Lake Gogebic! takes a couple of hours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts