Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Snow Lover
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm not able to start my 1993 Polaris Sport 440. When a little bit of fuel is poured directly into the cylinders the thing fires right up. I took the carbs out and cleaned them thoroughly. After tracking that the carbs were not getting fuel, I suspected a bad fuel pump. I can suck gas from the tank through the filter and through the fuel cut off switch. When the pulser hose is connected and the intake fuel port is connected, no fuel is pumped through the carbeurator ports. I removed the pulser hose to check for pulsating pressures. Indeed it feels as strong as it should. It is a rectangular one. I went and purchased a used mikuni 2-carb fuel pump, and was told they rarely go bad. Same results with the new fuel pump. What am I doing wrong? I even primed the fuel going to the pump and still no result.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
Try disconnecting a hose from one of the carbs and put the end in a clear container. Pull the engine over a few times. Does any fuel come out? If not, it's a fuel pump problem. If you get fuel out, the inlet needle/seats on the carb are stuck shut or the float is sticking.

Fuel rebuild kits are less than 10 bucks, you may want to do that just to rule out the pump.

How full is the fuel tank? If the pickup tube in the tank has a hole in it or has rotted and fallen off, it could cause problems if the fuel is at or lower than the tank output. You should be able to see the hose inside the tank connected to the fitting.

The doctor is the boy's mom. ;) But the son still has to bait her hook :D

·
Snow Lover
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that its another bad pump since i replaced the pump and still no fuel comes out. I can siphon fuel from the hose leading into the fuel pump, so I know it has access to fuel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts