Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to post some pics of the sled I bought this November - 1993 Polaris Indy Classic 500.

All of my pics can be found in an album here: 1993 Polaris Indy 500 Classic - Imgur

Here's everything I've done to it since buying:
- Replaced broken speedometer cable
- Replaced stock windshield
- Installed mirrors
- Installed new carbide runners
- Replaced chewed up snow flap
- Installed removable 2-up Seat Jack
- Replaced tail light
- Installed blue starter handle
- Added blue running board trim
- Replaced mismatched Idler wheels with blue OEM replacements
- Replaced missing fuel tank retaining springs

Still yet to do:
- Replace brakes
- Replace stock slides with blue ones
- Install Xenon blue tint headlight
- Paint running boards gloss black
- Paint hood grilles gloss black
- Remove & paint full exhaust with high temp. flat silver ceramic paint
- Install blue traction grips on running boards
- Replace cracked throttle block
- Install purple front shock boot covers
- Install purple tie rod covers
- Replace black spark plug caps with blue ones
- Re-solder thermostat notification light
- Fix minor cracks in hood with resin kit
- Wrap handlebar grips with purple grip tape
- Replace missing Polaris emblem on front bumper
- Flush chain case
- Install Polaris Racing decal on windshield
- Replace exhaust boot & build new bracket for boot to attach to belly pan
- Repair tie-rod boots

To be done in future:
- Replace stock metal skis/skins with full plastics
- Stud track

Might be a ridiculous amount of work on an 18 year old sled, but as long as we have snow and it runs well, it's worth while. 6,800 miles on it now (speedometer cable that I replaced broke end of last year), i put 90 miles on it Christmas day 2011.

Kind of cool up keeping an old relic. People appreciate old sleds that have been taken care of. The last few machines I had 10 years ago were just for getting around and I didn't bother fixing anything/making them look good. Hope you all like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! Yep it does get pricy, but it's a fun project. I've got to learn more about keeping everything under the hood in tip top shape instead of paying someone to do maintenance... I'm fine when it comes to replacing parts, but knowing how to maintain/tune up the engine/cooling/drive train isn't my forte.

Also, forgot to add that I bought some cheap LED lights to replace the dim tach/speedo lights. At a dollar an LED bulb, i picked up both some blue ones and white ones to see which I like. Also got some to replace the tail light bulbs. Doubt I'll find many early 90's Indys done up the way mine will be.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on repairs/upgrades

Since I first posted this I've done some of the work in my list...

- Replaced brakes
- Installed blue Xenon headlight
- Painted exhaust silver
- Installed purple shock covers
- Replaced black spark plug caps with blue ones
- Replaced exhaust boot

- Also, since last post I had both my pull cord snap on me and my hood cable let go, so spent a good 2 hours today fixing those unexpected problems.

- Have the slides for replacement but haven't gotten around to it yet, also have the running board grips, but they're supposed to be riveted, however my Indy has heat sinks below the running boards, so I'm going to have to find some other way to stick/glue them instead of riveting (Any suggestions??)

- The replacement throttle/kill switch block is in shipping as well as my grip tape.

- I picked up a lift stand for working on the sled, as well as a pretty cool little vintage keychain.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update #2

Today's work:

Replaced broken throttle block
Installed windshield decal
Installed missing emblem on front bumper
Installed purple trim on tie rods and control arms

Bought 96 Woody's studs on ebay this week, and blue backers for them, a new pull cord to replace, and new hand warmer grips since i had to ruin my throttle side one to replace the block.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
New items to to:

Adjust throttle cable at carbs to allow throttle free play
Install new hand warmers (right hand side got destroyed when removing the grip to replace throttle block)
Install new steering boots
Install handlebar hooks
Install skid plate

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Work - Jan 21st

Replaced white worn hyfax with new blue ones
Installed blue LED bulbs in speedometer/tachometer
Replaced stuck idler wheel
Removed tow hitch

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Studded the track today & adjusted throttle cable/carbs

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final improvement pics. Installed a new kill switch, skid plate, bar hooks and grip tape today.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Snowmobile.com App

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
1993 Indy Classic

What happened to the electric start and reverse? Those were STANDARD on the 1993 Indy Classic. I have looked at 3 1993 classics in the last year and they all had reverse and electric start on them although they did not have batteries for electric starter and were just pull starting them. I am pretty sure there is a reverse lever on right handlebar. Maybe somebody broke the handle and you might have a working reverse chaincase but just need a new lever to operate reverse.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Elec start/reverse.

The reverse and electric start that you mentioned were standard on the 2-up touring, but optional on the single seat Classic. There's no battery bracket in mine, and the chain case is definitely not the model with reverse. I've looked at multiple engine diagrams and the reverse is very different. I've done a lot of work on the handlebars (replacing kill switch, work on the grips, etc) and there's nothing broken.

I don't want all of that stuff anyway. Just added weight that isn't needed. It starts first or second pull unless it's been sitting for a couple of weeks in the cold, and it's light enough that I can lift it if I'm stuck.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took a few last pictures here today... We're down to a couple of inches of snow/a lot of grass showing and above freezing temperatures so I put it to bed for the summer. Our designated trails are all melted down to the gravel, so wouldn't get any riding anymore. I'm glad I picked today to be its last day too because I never got around to replacing the old starter cord, and it snapped on me. Started it by wrapping my extra cable around the clutch and it worked fine... I've got the new cord, just didn't get it swapped. Sounds like a summer project along with replacing the steering arm boots and repairing cracks in my hood from a previous owner.

Also posted a video on my youtube account: 1993 Polaris Indy Classic 500 - YouTube

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Prep for the new season, which hopefully will be coming in the next few weeks! The machine is all registered, insured, trail pass... Was planning on getting plastics for it this year but just not in my budget, so $45 skins from Royal Distributing will have to do the trick.

Not the best work conditions, and the ground wasn't level enough to use my stand, so a couple of 4x4's I had been using under the skis to elevate the sled over the summer had to do the trick...

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I wish! We had half an inch down last week, but then the temperature went above freezing on the weekend... Today we probably would have had half a foot but it all came down as rain.

The Prince Edward Island Snowmobile Association had it's annual Snow Show on the weekend and I took a couple of pics... Definitely wishing I could pick up the new Indy they had to show... or maybe the Kitty Cat!

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More work - Dec. 8, 2012

Did a little more today... Decided the vents would look good painted white, so I sprayed them up and I think they make the front stand out a lot more! I've got one vent that's drooping because the screw holes are worn out but I'm going to add some epoxy and then the screws should hold it in place...

Also installed and wired new hand warmers. Thank you Kimpex for selling a kit without the female connector to connect the elements to the switch... Also for not making the wires long enough to reach the switch. Had to make a run to the auto parts store to buy wire and insulation for the wiring connections.

Re-taped the grips and hooks with 3M hockey tape... It's got no glue and just sticks to itself, so not worried about the warmers ruining it.

Also finally got a real hood tether wire so no more ugly home made thing... Used a couple of wing-nuts though for easy removal just in case.

Still no snow to fly around on though, and no real amount of it forecast before Christmas...

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pics from late December.... Sled has been down due to water in the carbs and lack of snow.... Should be back at it once we get another storm!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts