Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1993 indy 500 efi that sometimes Ill try and start it and there will be no power to it like the battery isnt even hooked up and then Ill go back a little later and it starts right up. So i dont know if i have a bad ground wire some where or what. If any body has had this problem or knows what to do and can help me out that would be great. Im not getting any codes ether so i dont think its to much.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you have to wait for EFI to get up to speed first, my 92 has a READY light. My lght wont shut off with key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, normaly i give it a half pull to get the fuel pump or whatever it is to kick in and the next pull it will fire right up. but sometimes its like theres just no power there. I think its a bad ground or maybe just a bad wire some where.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Check for a loose connection at the fuel pump relay connector or you may have a bad relay that is failing intermittantly. However the most likely cause is an ACS which is starting to fail. The ACS is a small black box located near the battery. Looks like a voltage regulator. Next time it does not start jump the red wire to the orange/blk wire right at the ACS. If this causes it to come to life the ACS is the problem.

·
Registered
608 Posts
yes The orange/ black goes to the computer and when you jump 12v from the red it will "wake up" the computer from "sleep mode" . This is what the ACS is supposed to do when you rotate the engine and it gets a pulse from the gray/w and gray wires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this box looks like it is part of the battery tray. am i able to get a new? It wont start right now so im gonna try it and get back to ya. Thanks so much for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just jumped them wires and yeah it kick in the fuel pump. So can i just leave the wires jumped or get a new black box. what do you recomend.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
where do you live? i have one from a 92 efi i don't need cuz i changed mine to a carb motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have a 93 with a burnt out ACS, mine is over charging.
I have a single phase regulator/rectifier that I will install to take care of the charging. I have a question regarding the orange wire to efi, Does it require constant 12v to continue running? or just a single pluse to wake up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sled is now running again. I installed an automotive key switch to power up the orange wire, just need to remeber to shut it off when not in use. It's not the best set up but will do for now, perhaps I will install a dpdt switch that will switch both the power off and ground the coil simutanously. And the 20$ junkyard voltage regulator is charging just fine.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts