Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have got a 1993 arctic cat ext 580z. I originally had no spark so I had replaced the coils and the stator and I have now got spark. Now I am noticing that I can not get fuel through the lines to the carbs . If I fit a little gas by the plugs it will start up until that gas is burned up. I had the carbs cleaned and still nothing. Any other ideas on what to try?

·
Super Moderator
17,191 Posts
If you remove one of the gas lines from a carb and blow into it, do you hear the air coming out in the tank? That will tell you if there's a plugged line. Some AC sleds had gas shut offs between the fuel tank and the fuel pump, so look for that as an issue.

If you hear air but no bubbles, it could be the pick up tube inside of the tank has fallen off. The hole in the tank is not on the bottom, so if the line falls off and the fuel level is below the hole, no gas will make it to the fuel pump. Sometimes you can look in the tank with a small light and can see the fuel line.

Once you have made sure the system is intact from the metal filter on the end of the pickup tube, through the bulkhead through the shut off, and through the fuel filter, with the carb end of the fuel line in a container, pull the rope a few times. Are you getting any fuel? If no fuel, it's possible that the fuel pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced or that the impulse line from the crankcase to the fuel pump has cracks in it and cannot send an impulse to the fuel pump diaphragm.

If you do get fuel, are the carb bowls getting any? If not, the inlet needles are stuck in the seat. A good cleaning will often solve that issue.

That's a few things to check... good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,876 Posts
Welcome
The fuel pump may just need to be cleaned and or rebuilt?
I usually just grab the over flow hose by the driven clutch and blow into it, with the lines off the carb, this will prime the pump.

·
John from Washington
62 Posts
I had a no run-after-start issue on my SkiDoo 760. It would fire up (after priming) and die when I pulled on accelerator.

Got some good advice to disconnect the line to carbs, pull the rope and see if gas comes out. If gas comes out, pump is good, so move troubleshooting to float valves.

Pulled the carbs and the float bowls were dry. Replaced the float valves (forgot to measure the height) and it started up and ran again like I'm used to. My float valves were probably 20 years old. that said, don't store your sled with ethanol gas. I store with non-ethanol and Sea Foam. For me the extra cost is worth avoiding the headache

1 - 4 of 4 Posts