Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 580 EXT, last weekend, I went riding, the sled ran kinda sluggish at first, bogging out easily. It did this for quite a while and finally it began to run good, though not to full potential. I was on my way up a hill and it began to bog out again, and I ran out of gas. Once we got more gas for it, the rope on the pull start broke. This past friday, I replaced the rope, and put it all together, and could not get it started. I easily pulled the thing 100 times myself Saturday, and 4 and 5 other people there tried as well. I pulled the plugs quite a few times, they were soaked, I replaced them, put new gas in the sled, and checked the plugs for spark. After trying for a couple hours to get it running, something made me check the anti-freeze, the resevoir up top was completely empty. I filled it and tried over and over again to start it and could not get it started, we sprayed Ether in the cylinders and tried, it would sputter like it wanted to start and then stop, it backfired quite a few times throughout the day, and after every handful of pulls it would make a sound like it was decompressing, similar to that of a large vehicle applying air brakes, not as dramatic though, obviously. I've tried everything I know to try, any suggestions or information about what you think the problem(s) may be would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Details about this sled:
580 CC
Liquid Cooled
Manual Start (Pull)
2-stroke
Oil Injected
Carbeurated
Double (2 Carb, 2 Cylinder)
1993 Arctic Cat

·
Registered
143 Posts
Could be a head gasket if the coolant emptied my friend bought a wildcat that had one leaking the crankcase was half full of coolant. Or you could have the crankcase flooded with fuel too then they wont start untill its all drained.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it to get looked at, compression was low in both cylinders, 40 in one and 50 in the other. He's giving it a lookover and deciding whether its worth the money. Thinks its due to mileage it may need a rebuild or something with the rings. Doesn't think it's a seal cause both cylinders went at the same time.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Yea, if compression is that close (not within the 10% rule, though) then you probably have good seals. It's low enough to where you will most likely need new pistons along with the rings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the diagnosis, one of the pistons cracked, broken rings, and the sleeves inside the cylinder bores are trashed. Expensive fix, gonna be about $800 bucks to get new pistons, rings, sleeves, and labor. Not sure if the owner is gonna fix it or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.