Snowmobile Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got the gas out...getting ready to try again. If it runes I'm goonna pull those fuel lines to block and check for wet. Rebuild pumps if wet?

·
12 Posts
im not sure, looking at the routing of the lines i dont think so, it all has to go through the pumps and carbs...i did find stuff lodged in both my carbs and pumps, I am installing the exhaust parts tonight and then gonna fire it up.... id check out your pumps and carbs!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No luck at all. Gonna rebuild fuel pumps and new jets and needles for carbs.....I can think of nothing else and for the cost I thinks its a good place to start. Would anyone suggest tearing apart motor and doing a new gasket kit on the hole thing? I must say I didn't know I had another page on my thread. Just saw the new posts! Thanks for all the responses. On a better note for those with sleds that run just got a fresh foot of the white stuff. Dang it!

·
This is freakin' awesome!
1 Posts
I just had the same issue for the first time yesterday. All I could think to do was shut my valve off everytime. Been working so far but I will be using everyone's advice myself tomorrow. Anyone have anymore thoughts while I'm in there? Thanks all who posted here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey SEG you mentioned possibly mixing up fuel lines when I pulled the pumps....I don't think I did but if so is there a link to how it should be? I got carbs and pumps pulled need a magnifying glass yo read numbers on jets! Has anyone bought the performance jet kit? Supposed to increase fuel economy and mid range power! Found no moisture in the pulse lines. Hard to figure how it runs and than just don't. I have spark. Now can this spark be weak? I got new plugs. Seems to be flooding still before I tore it apart. Cheap to rebuild pumps and jets not bad. This sled is a tank but its only cost me 250 bucks! I'm new to this but handy and this thing hauls the mail when it ran so if you guys are in to get it running I for sure am! So let me know anything you can think of. I figure this sled sells for 1000 bucks in good running order so if I drop a few hundred getting it going I'm still money ahead! When trying to start the other day I did see what appeared to be sand on the plugs. This was while pulling at wot with plugs in and out. There would be stuff on the plug. Looked like sand but did not feel any grit at all. Very smooth. This cleared up with no luck firing. This machine sat for many years. That's why I asked about a full gasket rebuild just to check the motor. Its fifty bucks which I don't have but will over the summer. Any help is great thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Someone kinda mentioned this already, I had a 93 skidoo for about 15 years, The guy I bought it from said when you turn it off close the fuel shut off or it will flood. So in turn I thought he was full off it. So when I took my first journey on it I went to turn it off and my buddies said no thats bull S. Sure enough it filled the motor full of fuel and it was a bitch to start. So at some point I figured it was the needle and seats so I put new ones in. It did not fix it so try the fuel shutoff thing. I did this for 15 years.

·
Super Moderator
18,299 Posts
even with new needle/seats, the float can bounce when you are trailering and allow fuel to overfill the float bowl. I always turned 'em off when done riding when I ran carbed sleds. It's easy and saves SOOO much time over having to deal with a crankcase full of fuel!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Same here I have gone out to my snowmobiles a couple times in the all the years I have ridden and went uggggggggggh gas on the floor. I know what that means! New needle/seats new fuel pump and drying out a crankcase over several days. Now I just replace both every few seasons and of course clean the needle/seats every year just to avoid troubles, shut the gas off when I come home, travailing and over the summer.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
what was worse is that these early 90's Skidoo sleds had the motors tilted forward. They flooded out all the time. Even the 1999 HO had the issue with the tilt forward motor. My son keeps his 1999 Summit parked at a slight angle up-hill to make it easier to start.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts