Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys had an old mach given to me had been sitting..cleaned carbs new gas ran great for a few miles.bogged died cleaned carbs found a leak new tank grommetes and new lines. now wont fire at all have air screw out 1 1/2 turns the idle screw is a mystery they were taken out and i cannot find a baseline setting. the thing ran awesome the three times its fired. its getting gas. any ideas. a baseline of how far to back out the idle screw would be great.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Does it have good compression?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I can tell yes...getting tester on wendsday to check for sure. I've got the idle screw backed out two turns from stop.....its getting better but still not running it wants to!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Try spraying some 2 stroke mix from a windex bottle into the carbs and see if it will start. Did you route the fuel lines correctly? Are the plugs wet?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried to do things in order to not cross up but anything is possible. Tried finding something illustrating the fuel lines....I think they are ok. The plugs are not wet unless I prime after pulling for awhile then they get a little but I think that's from priming. Any clue on idle screw....its only out 2 turns air screw out 11/2 or 2....ill try the mix to see if that works...thanks alot ill check back later

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question...would the oil go bad sitting...the tank was almost full and the oil looked good. I put fresh gas but not the oil. Should still run though and smoked normal the few miles it ran.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot more info had new plugs one turned black pretty fast...also someone messed with it before. The throttle cable was way off one slide went way up inside the other hung down an inch and the screws were moved. So I'm at scratch now. Idle screw out two turns which is a guess and the air screw. Out 1 1/2

·
12 Posts
i am having the same problems as you.... I have taken my sled out 3 times this year no problems... all of a sudden yesterday it kept flooding and spewing out oil out of the exhaust valves.... dont know whats wrong.. i took the carbs out and the exhaust "shovelhead" valves...going to clean them tonight. But im not sure what could have caused this all of a sudden?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figure since I got some attention gonna toss this out to. Should coolant flow in the tube by cap you can see from up top? It was full when running nice but the last time it ran it wasn't flowing through. Does it need to be warm to pull through or should that line be full? I also read about slack in the throttle cable. It seems what I assume is the oil injection hooked to end of cable with the carbs. That arm starts to rise right when you pull the throttle the slides to. Not much play at all. Now I am fairly handy but new to sleds learned alot here in the forum from SEG in two weeks. Could pull and clean carbs blinfilded! Thanks a ton just at a loss at this point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not at all sure whitepony but thought I read something on a bad seal with trouble....I was leaking fuel but fixed that. I would do a search on seals or check compression now that is a guess on other posts I have no clue. Hopefully smallengine Guy comes back he knows these sleds real good he has a ton of great service links he's posted been real helpful!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did you check for spark?

·
Registered
59 Posts
you need fuel air compression and spark check those first

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Did you try the windex bottle yet? Hold the throttle partly open and give each carb a couple of squirts. Oil won't go bad unless it's been in there for YEARS.

·
12 Posts
update on my situation: I pulled the carbs apart and found a small chunk of debris lodged in the needle seat for the floats....could be the reason for the fouling/flooding on the plugs...also pulled apart both fuel pumps and in one of them found the same type of debris clogged in one of those. cleaning the exhaust valves waiting on new gaskets and hope she runs this weekend for our trip to Elk River, Idaho. "fingers crossed"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice to here! I was in elk river MN today! Bet Idaho is better. So tried the Windex bottle and nothing. Plugs were wet though thinking the hole thing is flooded.....gonna pull the piss out of it to try and clear it out.....air screw was out 2 turns backed down to one turn out. Idle screw 3 turns out...will see gonna check spark tonight to make sure. Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got good spark. Although with gas shut off I can pull once and take out plugs and are wet. Pull a bit put plugs back in pull once and they are wet....I must also add they are wet and its some dark lookiming stuff. Not oily but not clear. Is this a sign I'm getting oil? Or is that bad. Sorry I am very new to sleds! But a fast learner at least! Thanks again

·
12 Posts
Got good spark. Although with gas shut off I can pull once and take out plugs and are wet. Pull a bit put plugs back in pull once and they are wet....I must also add they are wet and its some dark lookiming stuff. Not oily but not clear. Is this a sign I'm getting oil? Or is that bad. Sorry I am very new to sleds! But a fast learner at least! Thanks again
Thats exactly how mine was last weekend, soaked, but not oily. Im thinking the dark look is just the "soot" burn off from the combustion mixed with the gas, its not a oily film.... Like I mentioned I found some crap lodged in my float seat pin for the carb, and some more stuff lodged in the fuel pump...have you disassembled those and looked? only take 20 minutes of so to do.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
The engine must be full of fuel still. Are you holding the throttle wide open? Are the lines from the engine block to the fuel pumps dry? If they are wet, a fuel pump is leaking into the engine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts