Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1992 arctic cat prowler 440 that will not idle unless you are touching the throttle. you dont have to hold it open just a light touch but when you let off it's like the sled shuts down. the lights turn off and it dies. i thought it was the cables but ajusting them did nothing. the sled runs great but just wont idle. any ideas would be great

·
Registered
139 Posts
Try adjusting the idle up a little bit. That is all I can think of sorry!

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
There's an idle screw and an air screw to fool around with your idle. Of course, a carb cleaning could help too. Since it needs some throttle to keep it running, that's an indication that you're getting too little of one or the other. Could be a clog, could be an adjustment. Either way, go to the carbs!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it doesnt seem like a carb problem. the jets are all new the carbs were soaked and cleaned ,new fuel lines . it runs great and will idle but you have to be touching the throttle

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Then it's an adjustment. The gas flow at idle is controlled by the screw on the side opposite of the clutch (phillips) and the air at idle is controlled by the screw either next to it or on the opposite side depending on which version of the roundslide you have (flat).

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
When the throttle lever is released is there at least 30mm (1/8") of slack at the throttle block?
If the cables are set too tight, it is hitting the TSS and that is what is shutting it down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is a small amount of slack in the cable about 2-3 mm but when u touch the throttle to remove the slack thats when it stays running. could it have something to do with the sensor screwed to the side of the carb? is there a way to turn off this sensor

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
That's the TSS and it can be easily bypassed. There's a how-to video on this site made by Blaine1.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts