Snowmobile Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
if a AC one will work my brother in law has a 93 ext efi parts sled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sorry for not updating this, been busy. I have the sled running beautifully now. I removed all of the EFI stuff and converted it to carbs. The sled starts on 2 pulls and runs great, thanks for all the help. Also all the parts removed are going to go up for sale, as I do not need them anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check the model number on the side of the tunnel. I believe you have a 93 or later model year. The 92 came with a green "ready" light on the dash which will be on whenever the engine is running and the three position ign switch. The later sleds didn't have either. BTW the spark has nothing to do with the battery, you will have spark with a totally dead battery but of course no fuel .
HELPPPPP! Anybody! mrholmquist I see you helping so many people on here.... I have same 92 Indy 500 EFI sp, the thing is running mint! I may have a battery charging problem but I’ll figure that out. What does the ready light cover? It was working last year so I doubt the bulb is out, but sled is running good I put 50 miles on it the other day but can’t get ready light to come on... not throwing any codes or anything. Is there something I can check? Should I be worried or drive it while it’s running good? Any help from anyone would be amazing thanks in advance!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just because it was working last year doesn't mean that the bulb isn't bad. All it takes is one good jarring especially if it was the original one and it can go bad. Takes a couple minutes to replace them, pull the old one out and go to the parts store and get one. Below is a link to a service manual Click Polaris and click 1985-1995 Service Manual. Also anymore questions I would start up your own post as well.

Page 155 will show you the RXL Electrical Schematic. The bulbs are the same on the RXL & the EFI 500 since they use all the same parts except the engine obviously and has 3 throttle bodies instead of 2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just because it was working last year doesn't mean that the bulb isn't bad. All it takes is one good jarring especially if it was the original one and it can go bad. Takes a couple minutes to replace them, pull the old one out and go to the parts store and get one. Below is a link to a service manual Click Polaris and click 1985-1995 Service Manual. Also anymore questions I would start up your own post as well.

Page 155 will show you the RXL Electrical Schematic. The bulbs are the same on the RXL & the EFI 500 since they use all the same parts except the engine obviously and has 3 throttle bodies instead of 2.
Okay cool thank you. Just wondering if you know what the ready light means? Other then the obvious, is it just telling you the ecu and all EFI components are good and ready? If I replace bulb and it still doesn’t come on what would be next step? But will do that this weekend just to make sure. Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it Even possible to have a healthy running EFI with no ready light?.... I’ve seen so many posts about people having such problems with this sled but this one I bought for 300$ seems to be awesome! Just don’t wanna screw it up

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have a 1992 Polaris Indy 500 EFI as a backup sled and I am converting it to carbs as soon as I can find a 38mm carb set. Every time I get something fixed within 2-4 weeks something else breaks. There is a reason why people have converted most of these and the RXL's to carbs. That EFI system completely sucked @%[email protected]% to say the least. And if I can't find a set of carbs I am going to rip it apart to keep some of the parts as I have a '97 Indy 500 and a '98 Indy 440 both L/C as well and some of the same parts are used. As it has been converted to a Xtra-10 setup already. The track has 96 new studs and lightweight backers along with the entire suspension has been rebuilt with Fox Shocks and every bearing replaced. So at this point it IDC what happens I am just sick & tired of the EFI system, sooner or later everyone has it with that setup and goes to carbs or sells the sled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1992 Polaris Indy 500 EFI as a backup sled and I am converting it to carbs as soon as I can find a 38mm carb set. Every time I get something fixed within 2-4 weeks something else breaks. There is a reason why people have converted most of these and the RXL's to carbs. That EFI system completely sucked @%[email protected]% to say the least. And if I can't find a set of carbs I am going to rip it apart to keep some of the parts as I have a '97 Indy 500 and a '98 Indy 440 both L/C as well and some of the same parts are used. As it has been converted to a Xtra-10 setup already. The track has 96 new studs and lightweight backers along with the entire suspension has been rebuilt with Fox Shocks and every bearing replaced. So at this point it IDC what happens I am just sick & tired of the EFI system, sooner or later everyone has it with that setup and goes to carbs or sells the sled.
Thanks for the ‘help’

·
Registered
887 Posts
Look just stating the fact about those sleds. When they run they run good but when they don't it is damn near impossible sometimes to figure them out. It just wasn't a good setup. The ready light yes is nice because you know everything is most likely working correctly. Replace the bulb and go from there. If it still isn't showing up then check the computer itself, there is a spot on top of it that will light up with a red light. Count the flashes and that will tell you what the error code is. Those systems must also have the proper voltage going through them i.e. a properly charged good battery at all times otherwise that will cause issues as well.

·
Registered
887 Posts
They use the same computer but the chip inside is different obviously, same software as well. The throttle bodies use the same injectors and are the same size just that one is a twin vs the triple. Exhaust of course is a bit different but for the most part they share just about everything even down to the fuel pressure regulator.

One thing I do miss is my Indy 650 which is what the RXL just with fuel injection. IF I could find a RXL up here I would buy it and switch it over to the carbs and do a full Xtra-10 upgrade on it for the front & rear suspensions. Unless of course I found one with one already of course.

But if you look at who owned them overall most converted them to carbs because of all the issues. I hate the system, even when working at that Polaris dealer in the '90s we wouldn't even stock them because of all the issues.

Put it this way there is several of them for sale around here some in showroom condition for 400-700 dollars. Contacted a couple of them asking why they were selling and same reason was "tired of the constant issues with the EFI system." But they were all EFI 500s not the RXL 650s.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yup the hardest thing about using fuel inuection is keeping the battery charged. The RXL's I bought were from people that didn't know how to maintain a battery. That makes for some sweet deals. I am done buying RXL's though and will start buying Ultras so I don't have to deal with batteries anymore.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ugh Had an Ultra as well sold it because the carbs were so damn finicky that the slightest issue and the sled would run like garbage. Finally had enough and sold it and took a 300 dollar loss on it because of how frustrated I was. I had that thing in 2 different dealers along with 3 mom & pop places all with stellar reputations and none of them could get those things right. They all said that the year I had which was a '97 was hit & miss with carb issues. Some ran great and never had an issue no matter what and some like mine were annoying from the start.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts