Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just tonight picked up a 1992 Indy 500 EFI, has just over 1,000 miles. I picked it up for a decent price because the previous owner was tired of its not starting issue. This is what the sled is doing, on a cold start (be it room temp or outside temp) you can pull until your arm hurts and the sled will not start. It was brought into my buddies local shop, he looked it over, gave it the starting fluid test, and behold it fired up until the starting fluid burnt up. Figured maybe frozen fuel line, let sled sit for a couple hours, tried again. The sled coughed but no start, another small shot of starting fluid, fired up, my buddy was able to keep the sled running this time. Took it outside for a few laps, let it idle and the previous owner took it home. Apparently after he got it home, hut it off, and went to restart it a short time later, but no luck. So I took it off his hands.

I have been trolling the web looking for ideas, and I see that this particular sled is Battery Hungry and finicky about its voltages. Here is what I have done already:

Tested Fuel Pump
Pressure = 36lbs
Runs on each Pull = Yes
Runs when Battery is reconnected = Yes

Tested Battery
= Bad (picking up new one tomorrow)

Tested Spark
= Great Spark (pretty blue)

Tested Compression
Left = 137lbs
Right = 132lbs

Inspected Wiring
Found a couple wires needing attention = fixed
Grounds = fair to good contact

After testing, we hooked up a fully charged booster pack to the sled and tried starting it. It fired up for a few seconds then quit. Check some other things out for a little bit. Decided to check the injector pulse. Hooked up the node lights and the first pull was nice and bright, each pull after was a very weak light. As we were having a beer and scratching our heads I decided to check the booster pack. I Noticed that after just 3 - 4 attempts to start the sled, we drained the booster pack. I also noticed that after reconnecting the booster pack each time the node lights would be nice and bright on the first pull and then fade.

Here is my question, is the battery causing the Injector pulse to vary or is it something else I should be checking?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
do you have a enrich on that? if so turn it on when starting. it is like a choke for the efi. when it starts turn it off. next does the ignition have it to were you turn it all the way and it starts your pump? If not only give it a short pull your first pull to start the pump then pull it to start it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would try that again with the new battery.

My experience is that if your not over 12.4ish volts the efi will not run.

You can get nice blue spark on 11.5 volts but the system can't run.

Sounds like everything else is in awesome condition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you have a enrich on that? if so turn it on when starting. it is like a choke for the efi. when it starts turn it off. next does the ignition have it to were you turn it all the way and it starts your pump? If not only give it a short pull your first pull to start the pump then pull it to start it.
I will have to check if this sled does have one. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for the input.

Renrip said:
I would try that again with the new battery.

My experience is that if your not over 12.4ish volts the efi will not run.

You can get nice blue spark on 11.5 volts but the system can't run.

Sounds like everything else is in awesome condition.
From what I have been reading, I hope that is all I need to fix the sled. The sled is actually in really good shape. I can post pics if you want.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
i have a 92 indy 500 sp EFI. i changed mine over to carbs. so if ya need any efi parts i have mine for sale.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

i have a 92 indy 500 sp EFI. i changed mine over to carbs. so if ya need any efi parts i have mine for sale.
I check it out, I do not have the 'Enrich' or capability to turn key to have pump run. So I will remeber to short pull on the first pull.

I am definately interested in what parts you have, I will send you a PM.

Renrip said:
throw up some pics of it running today!!!
I will hopefully have it running tonight, I will post pics soon.

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
That is weird you cannot turn the key all of the way to the right to get the pump to prime. Do you hear fuel going back into the tank?

I wouldn't bother doing much other testing until you have a new battery in it. Those things are touchy. I owned one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is weird you cannot turn the key all of the way to the right to get the pump to prime. Do you hear fuel going back into the tank?

I wouldn't bother doing much other testing until you have a new battery in it. Those things are touchy. I owned one.
I am charging the New Battery as I type this, hopefully by tonight I will have the sled starting reliably. As for the key, from indyryder500's post on the key, I thought he was mention a 3rd position in the key switch. I turned it, it only has 2 positions off and run. Now is the pump supposed to kick on when in the on position? If so then, I will make sure the pump cycles when I turn the key.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
no on my sled it is like i have elec start but i don't. if i would turn the key all the way to the right it would kick the pump on. then when i let it go it goes back to the on position. like on a car.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Check the model number on the side of the tunnel. I believe you have a 93 or later model year. The 92 came with a green "ready" light on the dash which will be on whenever the engine is running and the three position ign switch. The later sleds didn't have either. BTW the spark has nothing to do with the battery, you will have spark with a totally dead battery but of course no fuel .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no on my sled it is like i have elec start but i don't. if i would turn the key all the way to the right it would kick the pump on. then when i let it go it goes back to the on position. like on a car.
Thats what I thought, I just have a 2 position.

mrholmquist said:
Check the model number on the side of the tunnel. I believe you have a 93 or later model year. The 92 came with a green "ready" light on the dash which will be on whenever the engine is running and the three position ign switch. The later sleds didn't have either. BTW the spark has nothing to do with the battery, you will have spark with a totally dead battery but of course no fuel .
The mfg. date on the tunnel reads - 0101992. No ready green light on this one. As for the spark, with all the research I have been doing, one of the first things I read was that spark is independent of the battery.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
do you have a pic of your sled? i could tell you what year it is if you do and it has a stock hood on it.sounds like it is a 93. for some reason a lot of people have problems with the 93 EFI sleds. Like my father in law.lol

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
his 93 hood is black with i think a red white and blue stickers.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
this is the best pic i have of his. does yours look like the one on the right?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
that is a 93 indy 500.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
one good way to tell is google images of a 92 and a 93 indy 500.

·
Registered
608 Posts
That build date confirms ...1993 model year build. What I was meaning though was on that plate there will be a model number also . The first three digits of the model number will designate the model year ....092**** or 093**** this makes it easy to tell.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts