Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to get a 1992 indy running. Last year the wiring cable that goes up to the dash/headlights came loose and melted some wires on the exhaust. This blew the fuse link and it died. After splicing the wires that melted and replacing the fuse it still will not run. Fuel pump will not come on when key is turned to the start position. Ecu is showing a solid red light so thought it may be ruined. Replaced the ecu with another found on ebay and still nothing. I've tried the hard reset by holding it in the start position which doesn't work. Thinking the "self shutoff relay" may be burnt up? Any experienced opinion would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Will it run if you throw some mixed gas/oil down the cylinders?

Check the manual in the link below click polaris then 1985-1995 and it will have codes for that snowmobile in there someplace.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Then check the cdi wires, wiring to them and take the plug caps off cut back the wire a 1/4" and put new caps and plugs in and go from there. Also check the wiring going to the stator as well because those are known to be flaky with snowmobiles that old. You said nothing about no spark before just no fuel so wasn't sure.

·
Registered
26,229 Posts
Welcome
Unfortunately many of those efi from Polaris didn't work right ever!
Most were swapped with carbs

·
Registered
194 Posts
We have some pretty good manuals at the top of this Polaris section with wire diagrams that will help you. The first thing that came to my mind is that the 500's have some ACL switch thingy that tells the fuel pump to run. My 650's don't have that. If you don't have spark then that is completely separate from the EFI. Check those manuals either engine or engine electrical and you should get it figured out. Melted/shorted wires are always a pain and is usually more involved than just fixing the damaged wires.

Maybe having no spark or tach signal is causing the fuel pump to not run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts