Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It won't stay running on its own. I can start it with fluid and it runs for a but then dies even with me revving it to keep it alive. I rebuilt the fuel pump and cleaned the carbs a few months ago and replaced the seals and jets, but messed up the idle because the carbs were way out of sync. I was able to start it by spraying gas mixed with oil into the carb intake and it would stay running but idled very high even when I turned the idle all the way down. I assume this is because the air box was off? Today I took the air box off, sprayed starting fluid into the carbs and put the box back on. It started but wouldn't stay running even with me revving it. It won't start without fluid. I'm out of ideas besides maybe the idle needs to be adjusted first somehow? Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
I'm assuming these are Mikuni round slide carbs.. . if so, there's an air screw and an idle screw. Try the air screws at 1 turn out from lightly seated and the idle screw set to make the sled idle where you want it. If it's not running at all at idle, it's likely the pilot jet circuit is clogged. It may be time to take the carbs off again and clean them, paying particular attention to that part of the carb. Make sure to pull both the pilot jet and the main jet to clean the air and fuel passages to those jets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming these are Mikuni round slide carbs.. . if so, there's an air screw and an idle screw. Try the air screws at 1 turn out from lightly seated and the idle screw set to make the sled idle where you want it. If it's not running at all at idle, it's likely the pilot jet circuit is clogged. It may be time to take the carbs off again and clean them, paying particular attention to that part of the carb. Make sure to pull both the pilot jet and the main jet to clean the air and fuel passages to those jets.
They aren't slide carbs they have a circular bowl at the bottom but they are mikuni. I'll try changing the air screw to 1 turn, I haven't tried that yet. The manual said the stock screw was 1 1/2 turns so I was sticking with that. If that doesn't work I'll take off the carbs and clean them again. Thanks!

·
Registered
27,165 Posts
Pull the fuel hose off and pull it over and see how much fuel you get!
Then I would remove the carbs and pull them apart and remove all the jets, including the pilot (up the tube) as well as the air screw then spray all the passages

1 - 4 of 4 Posts