Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Safari Scout bogs down with a lot of smoke.

This machine has been sittin in the garage since 2004. In 2007, I tried to do a bit a maintenance such as cleaning the carb, changing the fuel in the tank, replaced the carb boot(was cracked), spark plugs(BR9ES). It kept bogging down so I parked. I’m at it again and I need help.

Yesterday, I put new fuel in it. It starts real easy. I left it warm up for 20 min, took it for a spin in the back alley and it worked awesome. Turned the sled around and began bogging down the whole way back (500 FT).
With the back end lifted, it seems fine. As soon as I put a load, it bogs down with smoke.
Compression ~115 each piston

Today, I started the machine and with the back lifted, it didn’t seem to be running as lean as yesterday and it had a lot of smoke from the exhaust again. I pulled the Spark plug wire on the clutch side and it kept running. I did the same on the fan side and it died. I pulled the plug it was a little wet not much and I checked for spark to the plug, I got a good spark.

Any ideas what is the problem

thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
try coil

My Safari Scout bogs down with a lot of smoke.

This machine has been sittin in the garage since 2004. In 2007, I tried to do a bit a maintenance such as cleaning the carb, changing the fuel in the tank, replaced the carb boot(was cracked), spark plugs(BR9ES). It kept bogging down so I parked. I’m at it again and I need help.

Yesterday, I put new fuel in it. It starts real easy. I left it warm up for 20 min, took it for a spin in the back alley and it worked awesome. Turned the sled around and began bogging down the whole way back (500 FT).
With the back end lifted, it seems fine. As soon as I put a load, it bogs down with smoke.
Compression ~115 each piston

Today, I started the machine and with the back lifted, it didn’t seem to be running as lean as yesterday and it had a lot of smoke from the exhaust again. I pulled the Spark plug wire on the clutch side and it kept running. I did the same on the fan side and it died. I pulled the plug it was a little wet not much and I checked for spark to the plug, I got a good spark.

Any ideas what is the problem

thanks
it sounds like a coil breaking down to me thats what they will do when they get hot if there bad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's an update:

After talking to the local shop, he suggested I check the crank seals by spraying fuel around the area.

Today I tried starting the sled to check the seals but was very difficult and kept stalling and maybe a bit of what seemed like a carb backfire(not sure if it was Carb or exhaust Backfire)was not very loud. The plugs kept getting wet. I changed them (gapped at .020") and it ran beautiful, well, almost beautiful. Now I got lots of power, didn't bog down but I still get a lot of whitish exhaust smoke. I sprayed fuel around the seals and the RPM didn't change. I'm thinking the seals are good.
After replacing the plugs, I was able to run the sled on either piston no problem. So I'm thinking the coil is good.
The local shop also said it could be a cracked piston.

What else could it be?
What would be the carb adjustment for 2000' elevation?
Would timing out of whack produce whitish smoke?

Thanks

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
SOunds like it just needs to be run. Carb adjustment should be good. Take it for a quick wide open run and look at the plugs. They should be a dry dark brown color.

·
Registered
28 Posts
if you ever want to sell that sled.... i grew up learning to ride a 1990 or 91 scout and loved that thing. good luck getting it running better. we had an old (late 70s) TNT that did the same thing back in 1990 and we just had to keep it running. the more regularly we used it, the better it was. found that it also helped to start it a few times throughout the year in the off season just to keep the parts moving... gah i should have taken my own advice as i'm having issues with my two sleds from sitting. loll

good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
plugs

Here's an update:

After talking to the local shop, he suggested I check the crank seals by spraying fuel around the area.

Today I tried starting the sled to check the seals but was very difficult and kept stalling and maybe a bit of what seemed like a carb backfire(not sure if it was Carb or exhaust Backfire)was not very loud. The plugs kept getting wet. I changed them (gapped at .020") and it ran beautiful, well, almost beautiful. Now I got lots of power, didn't bog down but I still get a lot of whitish exhaust smoke. I sprayed fuel around the seals and the RPM didn't change. I'm thinking the seals are good.
After replacing the plugs, I was able to run the sled on either piston no problem. So I'm thinking the coil is good.
The local shop also said it could be a cracked piston.

What else could it be?
What would be the carb adjustment for 2000' elevation?
Would timing out of whack produce whitish smoke?

Thanks
if plugs are wet your carbs are set wrong not enuf air to much fuel.setting screws should be around 2 to 2and a half turns go all the way in and take them out I HAVE A 93 RALLY THATS WHERE I RUN THEM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts