Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I have a 1991 Indy 500. I believe the rear suspension needs work... when you push it down it does not bounce back up. What needs to be replaced and where is the best place to get replacement parts. Will xtra-10 shocks work? Thanks alot for the help...

Dobb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys....What can I expect to pay for something like this and how hard is job?

Thanks

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
30 a spring. it is not very hard, its nice if you have a heated shop. all you have to do is take the 2 bolts out in the rear if the skid. then take the front spring retainers off. then just pull the spring out and put the new one on. you might have to pull off the idlers to. put the springs fully in to the suspension after you have the 2 rear bolts on. this will save you a big head ache.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys,
Just bought 2 replacement shocks for my 1991. Is this a simple bolt in or will the suspension need to come out? I am hoping this helps the sagging rear but I think the springs may be the issue. Is there and way to dial those up by increasing the preload?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, the reason I bought shocks is that is what the polaris dealer told me to do. He said unless the springs are broke they should not go bad. Now I thing you guys nailed it with the spring issue...I may order the springs up and do it all at once. Just frustrated at this point. Dont want to tear into it and put shocks in and have no improvement.

Thanks,

Dobb

·
Registered
323 Posts
when was the last time you greased it? My sled was the same way when i first got it and all i did was greased all the grease spots and lifted the back up and droped it and now it works great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wild,
After a rough 80 miles it actually seems to be working better...I have the springs and shocks now so I think I am going to get them installed....It was almost liek the rough riding improved the rear suspension...broke it in a bit. It had not been rode hard for a few years.

·
Registered
323 Posts
yeah just grease it up real good and ride it for a little bit and you should be fine the rest of the year. This way you wont have any down time and you can replace the springs and shocks this summer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Even if you get your rebound problems taken care of and it still seems to be too low for you, you can lift the rear by moving the rear mounting bolts, that are originally through the sides of the tunnel, to just below the running boards. There is a bracket that will make this happen or you can make one. Many of these sleds will already have this done. I think it helps the handling in trails especially if your aggresive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys,
I have a 1991 Indy 500. I believe the rear suspension needs work... when you push it down it does not bounce back up. What needs to be replaced and where is the best place to get replacement parts. Will xtra-10 shocks work? Thanks alot for the help...

Dobb
its the shock in the suspention its toast. my sled did the same thing so i had to replase the shock.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
dude this thread is 5yrs old,
i hope his problem has been
fixed a long time ago!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts