Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sled was bogging when any throttle was applied. Removed carb and cleaned. Sled went from bogging to barely running. One plug looked fouled the other ok. Replaced plugs, sled does not run at all. Checked for spark - none. When a coil goes bad does it go all at once or one plug at a time? How would I test for a bad coil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am thinking that if you had change in the way that it was running after you had the carb apart you still might have a carb problem. If you have a throttle switch that is bad on the carb it will wipe out your spark. Unhook the leads to the switch and plug them together that will bypass the switch.I think there is also another switch before that one that works with the throttle but I am not sure where it is at.I really don't think that it is a coil I have had Yam's along time and have yet to replace a coil. Check your dead man switch and handle bar switch and any other switch that could be killing your spark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
same exact thing with mine. except i didnt change the plugs, and it just wont idle. would anyone know what to do and where the stupid needle is? sorry this didnt help you redshirt, but im trying to figure out the same prob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's kind of a funky carb on the ovation, they made a two barrel carb with one float bowl.I am guessing that your low speed jets need cleaning,you will see the two of them next to the main jets after you get your float bowl off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Throttle switch? There are two leads that go to the Carb. Would this be the dead man/ kill switch. Is this what you are refferring to? I matched them but nothing when I turned it over. There are two other leads that i also match same result. Not sure what they are.

Switch on the throttle. Don't see it.

I can't even get it to fire with engine stater so definetly no spark. Damn thing is frustrating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The wires that go to the switch on the carb are the ones to put together to eliminate that switch being bad. The dead man switch I was talking about would be the tether switch, sometimes they get weak and dodn't hold the button in far enough to maintain contact . The throttle switch I think is in the housing on the handle bars, you could trace the wires from that switch to were they plug into the harness and pulg together and bypass that switch.
Maybe the kill button on the handlebars is going bad, and you could trace the wires from it back to the harness and bypass it.I am thinking it has to be a switch or bad wire connection giving you fits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1990 Yamaha ovation, I wanted to put plastic skies on it. What do you guys recommend for this snowmobile. I’m looking for something cheap like 100 to 130 dollars for a set. I’d prefer them to be black. Thanks

·
Registered
26,057 Posts
One post is enough
The only Difference in the Cat and the Polaris plastic ski is that the Polaris uses a 3/8" bolt and the Cat uses a 7/16" bolt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts