Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last year I came on here asking a couple questions and everything was going fine this summer. I would start and run the sled every 2 week and got it up to temperature then shut it off. I just had the carbs rebuilt before i rode it last winter. Now when I went to start the sled for the first time this winter it started when I primed it a couple times and then it would idle for a couple seconds then die. I then checked the plugs and put new plugs in just incase (also checked the spark it was good obviously because it ran) then I took both fuel lines off the carbs and they where squirting out fuel. So I took the carbs off and cleaned the passages I didn't take the bowls off though. Then I put them back on and it was still only running of the primer shots. I'm not sure what to do it was just running fine last winter and summer. And also the fuel pump was just rebuilt. Any ideas what the problem could be?

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Yes reclean the carburetors again. You can't clean a carburetor without removing all the jets, needle/seat and what not so no you didn't clean properly. And I mean by that remove every jet including the venturi's, choke cables and what not then you didn't clean them properly. Take it all apart again remove all the jets and clean each passageway with good carb cleaner, small piece of wire and do this with all the jets as well. Replace the fuel filter if you didn't last year as well.

·
Registered
26,724 Posts
Yep and remove the air screw (turn it in til lightly seated counting the turns)
And the pilot jet (up the tube) and spray threw those passages

EVERY PRESEASON!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep and remove the air screw (turn it in til lightly seated counting the turns)
And the pilot jet (up the tube) and spray threw those passages

EVERY PRESEASON!
Yes reclean the carburetors again. You can't clean a carburetor without removing all the jets, needle/seat and what not so no you didn't clean properly. And I mean by that remove every jet including the venturi's, choke cables and what not then you didn't clean them properly. Take it all apart again remove all the jets and clean each passageway with good carb cleaner, small piece of wire and do this with all the jets as well. Replace the fuel filter if you didn't last year as well.
okay thank you both i will go out and take them off and completely clean them also when i let the sled sit and idle after i ride it like i go in and warm up i will go to give it throttle and it will be boggy but once i hold the throttle at 1/4 throttle it will clear out and run fine. Does this mean the pilot jet is to big or something else.

·
Registered
26,724 Posts
Remember heat is your friend
Getting apart and back together in the heat with a heat gun helps

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remember heat is your friend
Getting apart and back together in the heat with a heat gun helps
whelp I got it to run beautifully just cleaned the carbs and there where very clean but I took everything off and just blew air through them and it idles and run really good. As soon as you tap the throttle it doesn't bog anymore and is just ready to rip. It is suppose to snow out Monday so hopefully it runs good. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Just for future reference, When starting cold, you prime it the 3 times, pull until it starts and then use the primer to keep it running until it warms up. Takes between 2-5 minutes for it to get warmed up to run on its own.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just for future reference, When starting cold, you prime it the 3 times, pull until it starts and then use the primer to keep it running until it warms up. Takes between 2-5 minutes for it to get warmed up to run on its own.
yea this is what i normally do so good to know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts