Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with an 89 Phazer 480 I bought. It is only running on one cylinder which is the clutch side. The plug has good colour after testing it and is hot but the other side is soaking wet and the plug isn't even hot. Both sides have spark but when I take it for a rip it only gets up to about 60km/h. I cleaned the carbs and jets, put new oil and fuel lines on and a new plug cap on the side that's not firing along with a new set of plugs. thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, I just tested my compression and I'm at 120 clutch side and only 65 on the other side. So probably needs some rings. Is there anything else that it could be?? someone mentioned to me that it could be the pulse line but I have no idea what that is or where to find it.

·
Mr. Budget Mechanic
152 Posts
I think "pulse line" is referring to the vacuum line from the motor to the fuel pump that draws the fuel from the tank to the carbs. If your plug is wet then you are definitely getting fuel and you can rule out a fuel issue. Unfortunately, if you've got good spark and you're only getting 65 PSI on the dead cylinder it sounds like you've got a bad cylinder, which likely means you need to rebuild the top end (new rings, pistons, pins, rod bearings, cylinder honing/boring etc., as needed).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks cutlass440 (I had one of those too!!) That what I figured. This guy kept telling me that I need to check my pulse line. The plug is very wet and you would think if the pulse line was causing the low compression it would be on both cylinders not just the recoil side but I'm not sure how that works so I could be wrong. I'm hoping everything looks decent inside and I can just thow on some new rings and gaskets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts