Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi,

it's been a while since i had a sled so i bought this sled real cheap, a pantera 440 LC with reverse.... this is my first sled with independant front suspension and liquid cooling.

now im not too joyful of liquid cooling since my last sled was 1988 enticer 340 LT that i bought brand new and it made me enjoy 20000 km of hassle free (clutch rebuilt at 10k) sledding for years and years.

anyways, i bought this sled and had a great deal, 400$ and theres not even a crack or scratch on it.. it's mint condition and its got 7000 miles of trail use. so when i got it i went to a nice hard snowy surface road and and tryed it for top speed. the best i could do was 62 MPH... now is it just me of it that sled a bit slow? it's goes real well up to 50 and from stop it will accelerate rather nice.. i know it's no thundercat nor do i wanted to be but i thought a twin carb 440 would do better... my old enticer could do that speed with a 15 inch x 139 inch track to carry and with only one carb..with a 340 cc one carb engine..it can't be right...right?

oh and the belt seems to have a tendency to get a little more then warm ( almost hot if you ask me)

and at WOT i get it to 7300-7500 rpm is that normal as well? i don't know these sleds much

if there is a problem with it, any suggestions? or is it just normal ? i dunno :confused:

fr0st :mad:

·
Registered
97 Posts
it's an old sled could be many things... clean the secondary clutch, if you can... clean the carbs... check the weights on the primary clutch, check the compression of the cylinders... and so on.

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well the belt seems rather new but i will change it anyways.as for the carbs, the sled runs very well and start with one pull. its not sluggish and all... it pulls well up to 55 mph ns then it seems to hang tyhere.. only getiing 10 mph more at wot...but to do 50, is not a problem .but i did one test.went on an ice surface..REAL ice on a skating ring where the locals play hockey...got up from the sled and floored it while holding it in place to see if it was the skis doing to much drag or something... the best it could do was 65mhp @ 7500 rpm.... so i know it not the weight nor the ski drag..

you mentionned to clean the secondary clutch...clean what with what and how ?
i got my secondary clutch out... what position should the spring be in? the spring is yellow..

now what do i clean?

fr0st:confused:

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked the driven clutch and everything seesm alright..got a new belt and went for test ride...seems thats now it can RPM higher for some unknown reason..

got it to 65 and it went to 7700 and trhen got lower to 7100 appox..dunno what happen ..anyway the test was made on a trail with bumps a little so it was not the best place.. but i like it :))))

i asked around and found someone who had one of those old fat cat's and he said that the this could hit 70 MPH max.. i guess thechnology wasn't the same from a 1989 fat cat pantera to a 440 1990 prowler wich could get alot more..

oh well , atleast it's reliable.. remember the rabbit and turtle ? :pP

Fr0sT

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
Actually, I am going to say a Pantera 440 from 89 probably does max somewhere near 70. It may not have anything at all wrong with it.

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats good to know.. because i was wondering if it was normal or not.. since there not too many around it's not easy to get a standard and see if it's ok like it is or not.

a friend of mine has a old indy 400 (1988 i think ), god can this thing ride for a 400 cc..

i thought to be able to atleast be able to follow him but no way.. i got a reverse and from my experience on older sleds, you lose about 5- 10 MPH with a reverse geared chain case.

anyways, good to know it's alright :)

thanx alot guys, i love this place :)))

Fr0sT

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does that Pantera have a one peice head or 2 seperate ones?The reason I ask is that my uncle has an old Pantera, its either an 88 or 89.Its damn fast for an old sled.It will still do 85 to 90 on hard pack trails.Its got no reverse, tho.

If you haven't, make sure your drivtrain is in good shape,Check the jackshaft and driveshaft bearings, all the idlers, slides track tension, etc.

Make sure the track rotates fairly easily, too.

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's a one head piece engine

as for the no reverse on a pantera, i checked and all cam with a reverse in 1989... so either your sled is from another year or another model..

as for the speed i doubt it could go up to 85-90 MPH on a trail.. or on any terrain at all.

its only a 440 and the carbs are 34 mm so it's got nothing to GO fast to begin with, plus, it weights a ton

the only 440 i saw going that fast was a 1977 SRX :)

now those were wicked !

Fr0sT

·
Registered
88 Posts
The one my uncle has is definately an 88, then.Don't under estimate those 'ol 440,s.Liquid cooled, dual carbs, not sure but I thought it was packing reed valves, too.

Anyway, before I got my ZRT I had a 96Z440 fan.I could get 75 out of it on a flat ,smooth surface.That damn 'ol "Fat Cat" would pull me every time, and keep walkin' away!

No 2 speedos ever read the same so who knows ?

With that many miles on your sled, the needle jet and jet needle are bound to be worn.They are often overlooked but will cause the engine to run rich once you come off idle.Also makes 'em harder on fuel.

If your happy with your sled, don't mess with it.:)

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i asked around here and some people who live near me and they all said the same thing.

its good for 70 and not much over it. its heavy and under powered.. you cannot compare a 96 sled with an 89.. the technology wasn't the same and a reverse steals 10 MPH ona sled so..

anyways i tryed it on a skating rink to see who fast it would go if i was holding it in place and the ice.. that way there less friction, no wind resistance and no ski drag..and it could go close to 70 and almost 8000 rpm and yes i did open de cab and seen the drive pully open up and letting that belt go in deep.. so i went to the top of the gearing..the only weay i could go faster was that the engine would be breathing through 38 mm carbs...

fr0st

·
Registered
41 Posts
maybe you should just look inside of the carbs and make sure the slides are opening all of the way when the throttle is held wide open. ya never know

·
Registered
205 Posts
yea, that sounds a lil bit slow to me too. my friend who's 300 lbs. used to have an '88 A/C super jag 440, SINGLE carb, reverse, electric start, a 2-up seat, 156" track that was damn near bald, and he could get that thing up to at least 65.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It might just be the reverse, then ,Frost.The reason I compared the 96 to the 88(I'm sure that's what it is, now) is because we ran them side by side many times.Every winter for the 6 years I owned the Z

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i just don't know. i've been told that 70 or close is there speed, since it's not new, 7000 miles is kinda high and i don't know if the speedo is good on it.. it might be showing less then it supposed too.. i will try it on an icy road with a car beside it.. just to see if the speedo is ok.

fr0st

·
Registered
88 Posts
70 with a reverse when they were new may well be the case.There is another fella out here with one the same as yours(with reverse) and he says he gets about 65 too.

but the 88 (no rewind)I ran with was definately faster.

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kingmort

you found someone with a pantera 89 ?

good to hear that the speed is somewhat 65-70 too.. so mine is in good working order.

i wonder why the 88 is faster..anyway that reverse sur don't help for speed but i like it when i park the sled in my garage

the reason i found there slow is weight ( these weight a ton) and the gearing..even if i put on bigger carbs such as 36 from a prowler or even 38 it wont go faster.. just would get to 65 faster :D

anyways im gonna keep it... for 500$ having a sled that doesn't have a scratch,even the seat is withoutholes or tears.and it starts with one pull( electric starter is busted.. dont need it anyway).

i'll keep it a few years and see.. when it does blow up i'll get a another one with more CC this time :cool:

fr0st:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, turns out a guy up the road has the 89, he says pretty much same as you.Funny about my uncle's 88.
They are heavy, but they handle real nice for the age.I rode my uncles 88 quite a bit.And yup, if it don't fire up by the second pull, there's somethin' wrong somewhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts