Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 1987 XLV 540 with 2100 miles. It runs great, starts right up and goes like hell. But is smokes a lot, especially upon start up, but it is noticably smoking whenever it is idling.

It does sputter a little at idle but overall it runs very good.

What could cause the excessive smoke? Could the oil injection system be putting too much oil in?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jamie

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have an 85 xlv and mine smokes too. I guess that means its getting oil right? Pull up on the oil cable going into the carb. It should pull up. Measure that. If i remember right that should be 25mm or the length of a quarter. If its any less it may be running a bit rich. Heck if it runs good and the plugs are nice and brown don't mess with it. Don't be scared of the 2 stroke smell ;) sounds like a nice sled you got.

I recently picked up a 1987 XLV 540 with 2100 miles. It runs great, starts right up and goes like hell. But is smokes a lot, especially upon start up, but it is noticably smoking whenever it is idling.

It does sputter a little at idle but overall it runs very good.

What could cause the excessive smoke? Could the oil injection system be putting too much oil in?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jamie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it was a great deal. It was a one owner sled garaged since new and factory maintained.

I really don't intend to do anything to it unless I have to. I'll check the oil line and see but unless it starts being a problem, I am going to leave it alone.

The two stroke smell doesn't bother me in the least, I kinda like it actually...:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do I know what size track this sled uses? Anyone know a good place to pick one up?

The track is not bad, there are a few spots that are worn pretty good but I may work it over and replace and upgrade some stuff during the off season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.