Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone first time poster here!

Let's get right into it.

I recently inherited a 1987 Super Jag from my grandfather. It has been suspended in his barn for some undeterminable amount of time. He's sure it ran when he parked it, but didn't know what it would need to run again.

This is the list of my current (known) problems:

- Before it was given to me, it was looked over and someone decided that they were going to test the integrity of the fuel lines (n) needless to say they snapped like dry spaghetti. I have no idea how the lines are routed, I've printed off the available parts diagrams but that only partially helps my case.

- Track won't turn, was towed approx. 300 ft and never budged. The brake lever isn't budging either, not sure if its related.

So, to those with experience or any insight, how should I proceed? Should I get the engine fired up before doing the repairs?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Only realizing now that I posted this in the wrong sub. Could a mod move this into the Arctic Cat sub.

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
I would start with the engine. If you can't get it running, working on the rest would be kind of pointless... Brakes and not turning could be very related. When you get to the suspension, you should be able to remove the belt and determine if the brake is frozen. I would pull the chaincase cover and check inside there, too

Fuel, mechanical, spark... new fuel lines, clean carbs, new plugs...maybe new plug wires too. That would be a good start :)

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the help stevem5215!

I would start with the engine. If you can't get it running, working on the rest would be kind of pointless...
I couldn't agree more. Should I kinda jimmy rig something to just test the engine, or would dribbling some fuel into the heads suffice just to fire the thing up? I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but between google and youtube I can get by!

Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm sure there will be many more questions asked and answered.

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
If you do put in a bit of gas into the spark plug holes, mix a bit of 2-stroke oil with it. In fact, before pulling the rope at all, I would put in a couple teaspoonfuls of 2-stroke oil to coat the cylinder walls and rings. You don't want to have the pistons moving in the cylinders with no lubrication...

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Yeah every year when I do my first start up with clean carbs I give ea cyl a good shot of WD40 and work it over before I pull the rope

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So here’s where I am.

I’ve cleaned the carb as per the link, it actually wasn’t as bad as I anticipated, then reinstalled.

I poured some oil into each cylinder and with the plugs removed slowly pulled the cord about 20 times slowly then gradually sped up the pulls. After that I dribbled some mixed fuel into each cylinder and tried my luck. The machine fired first pull.

I had anticipated removing the fuel pump to check the diaphragm, but instead decided to test it prior to removal. I had a small piece of fuel line still connected to it so I dribbled some fuel into the line and pulled over the machine, out spurt the fuel with no signs of leakage.

I ran a new line from the pump to the carb, and ran the remaining 3’ to the inlet of the pump. Filled the line with fuel, tried to start it 10-15 times with no luck. Checked the lines, both full, noticed some fuel had dribbled down onto the exhaust. Dribbled more fuel into the cylinders, pulled the cord, fired right away. Sputtered for a second, wanted to die, wouldn’t idle, but ran with light throttle until all the fuel in the lines was gone.

Up until this point the track was suspended. When the machine was running, the track turned effortlessly, with no sounds that I would describe as odd (no grinding or knocking). Once I was convinced it would run, even if only for a moment, I decided to set the track down and have it move under its own power. When I gave the machine fuel, you could see the primary clutch come together on the belt, but the secondary wouldn’t turn.

Any ideas? Any direction?

Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
It may be jetted so rich you don't have any power. WHen you pull the plugs, what color are the insulators?

I have had sleds that would no longer move forward as the sled was going up in elevation because the sled was jetted for a much lower elevation. With warm temps, your jetting may be for colder temps and now that you are testing in warmer weather, you may be so rich there's no power.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
And remember untill you get it up to full temp it won't clear itself out and will smoke like a crazy.
Try simply putting fuel inlet line into a gas can and drible gas into plugs and let it prime itself , then let it run for 10 min on lift burping (goosing) throttle.
Never let a 2 stroke just sit and idle. keep the flipper moving, at idle if your pilot jet is semi pluged it will be lean!
Keeping the throttle moving will keep fuel coming from Pilot to needle to main jet.
Once you have done this then set it down bring fuel can with you and see if it will pull itself?

·
Super Moderator
62 Posts
For the secondary jammed up you will need to investigate the chaincase for binding or a bearing in the top or bottom sections that maybe be frozen. If the secondary doesn't turn I'd suspect those things first. And like mentioned, once it's warmed up fully you'll know better the condition of the engine especially if you do a hot cylinder pressure test. It should be 120 lbs or higher for good rings etc.

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey everyone, sorry for the delayed responses!

It may be jetted so rich you don't have any power. WHen you pull the plugs, what color are the insulators?

I have had sleds that would no longer move forward as the sled was going up in elevation because the sled was jetted for a much lower elevation. With warm temps, your jetting may be for colder temps and now that you are testing in warmer weather, you may be so rich there's no power.
I'll have to grab a photo of the plugs for you, I'll do some research on that.

I can't confirm which jet is used on the machine. I can confirm that the machine was bought new, never used at high elevation, and only stored because of the lack of suspension for my grandparents. As in, it ran well before it was stored.

And remember untill you get it up to full temp it won't clear itself out and will smoke like a crazy.
Try simply putting fuel inlet line into a gas can and drible gas into plugs and let it prime itself , then let it run for 10 min on lift burping (goosing) throttle.
Never let a 2 stroke just sit and idle. keep the flipper moving, at idle if your pilot jet is semi pluged it will be lean!
Keeping the throttle moving will keep fuel coming from Pilot to needle to main jet.
Once you have done this then set it down bring fuel can with you and see if it will pull itself?
I really do have to fashion up a tank for it to get some extended run time. I had no idea about not letting a 2 stroke idle, my rookie is showing through lol Ill try to give it a go today and report back.

For the secondary jammed up you will need to investigate the chaincase for binding or a bearing in the top or bottom sections that maybe be frozen. If the secondary doesn't turn I'd suspect those things first. And like mentioned, once it's warmed up fully you'll know better the condition of the engine especially if you do a hot cylinder pressure test. It should be 120 lbs or higher for good rings etc.
Do you think the track would still turn while lifted, with those problems? I'll be setting up a temporary tank today for some extended runtime, and will report back.

Thanks everyone for your help. Im excited to get this thing moving, even though our snow is all but gone, it'll be excellent to cart the kids around with next year.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
With the track in the air you should be able to turn the secondary and it in turn should turn the track!
If not find out why before running the sled.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news!

I decided to see if I could install some primer lines as they were broken. I installed them with a bit of difficulty and a few choose words. I had to install a makeshift gas tank as the outlet was broken. Once I had everything done, I primed the lines, dropped a pickup line into my "gas tank", pulled the primer a few times and it started right up. At this point the machine is still suspended, and it works marvellously: track spins freely, no weird clunks or bangs. I ran the machine like this for some 10 minutes feathering the throttle. After I let the machine warm up I set it down and away she went!!!

I made about 20 laps around the yard before I ended up having to get off the machine and turn it manually, when I got back on, the throttle response was sluggish and the track wouldn't spin. I feathered the throttle lightly until it picked up again and the track turned again.

All in all, today is a success!!

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Sounds like my winter!
Have some one just hold the back end up and rev it out to 'Clear it"
You may be on the verge of fouling plugs (to warm or just too rich or too much oil ?)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like my winter!
Have some one just hold the back end up and rev it out to 'Clear it"
You may be on the verge of fouling plugs (to warm or just too rich or too much oil ?)
It definitely needs a good run. I should do some research into adjusting those carbs. I mixed the fuel 50:1 but admittedly, before today I was just eyeballing it and I was having some dripping coming from around the exhaust connection and I think it was unburnt oil because I was mixing it thick. So I definitely agree that a good run with some open throttle would do the machine good.

Whats your thoughts on the gear oil, er.. chain case oil. How would I go about changing it, or inspecting it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts