Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, this is my very first post!

So I needed to replace my exhaust manifold on my polaris indy sport with the ec34-2pm-01 engine. The manifold nuts were supposed to be all brass but the previous owner installed 1 steel nut.....and of course this one didnt came off and I ended breaking the bolt.

Now my question is: does anyone knoes if I can extract the bolt or it is a 1 piece with the engine?

Sorry for my bad english btw haha!

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Looks like there is enough there to just grab it with vise-grips and turn. blast it with WD-40 or PB-blaster and let it sit for 10 minutes before trying. If you can't get it to budge, apply heat to the cylinder.

I don't think the bolts are brass, but rather stainless steel??

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Bolts on those should be Steel not brass. Agreed I would be soaking the heck out of that with some penetrating oil multiple times letting it soak in and if that don't work then grabbing a small torch to heat it up and use said vise-grips on it. Should slowly turn out then.

Otherwise you are looking at drilling it out, using a easy-out possibly which I highly doubt is going to work. Would most likely end up drilling it out completely and cutting new threads for a different bolt.

·
Super Moderator
18,109 Posts
I agree, heat is your friend here...

If you are a welder (or know someone who is) you may be able to weld a nut on the stud that is remaining and turn it out with a wrench. The welding also does a great job of heating the stud up, too

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I've done that before even on a car engine exhaust manifold bolt. Just have to be careful is all when doing it. It does work though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for replies. Sadly I dont have a welder. Ill try soaking this with WD40 and aply some heat.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I would soak it multiple times over tonight and then tomorrow. If you got a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster or Pi-Oil that might work better then WD-40 but WD-40 does work in a pinch. Soak it several times tonight, tomorrow morning as well and then whenever you can take a small torch to it or what we use is a propane hand torch that we use to light our wood stove with. Like the one below and put it on low and slowly work the bolt out. Or you can use a small micro butane torch. I wish we had a acetylene torch set but we don't.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...81-c-8533.htm?tid=-6358160222237990454&ipos=2

Or a Micro Torch can work in a pinch

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
acetylene gets to hot anyway. One minute to long and you're burning holes in aluminum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts