Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my dad's 1987 MX LT out of the shed (has been sitting there for 3 years). I cleaned the carbs out but its still dosent run the best. It will bog down in a little bit deeper snow and wont accelerate very quickly(from about 0 to 1/4 throttle), and once I get to a little over 3/4 throttle it starts to slow down again. Anyone know what the problem(s) could be?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
did u change all gas id clean the carbs again sounds like u missed somethin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I completely cleaned the carbs again, making sure not to miss anything. I also cleaned the fuel pump and took out all the old oil and coolant. I looked through all the fuel lines and didnt find any problems. I need to pick up some more oil before I can try it but I have another question. In the picture, I know the silver cap is the coolant, the bigger black one is the oil, but what's the smaller black one?

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
that was answered on previous post
Injection oil goes in the little tank also.It's the lube tank for the rotary valve/water pump drive.

:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to clarify, I can use the same oil in the one with the little black cap and the one with the big black cap?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
also look at the belt and clean the clutches.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a new belt on, I also replaced ALL the gas lines. It wont even start anymore. It dosent seem to be sucking any gas through the main lines that go to the carbs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you check the vacuum line that goes from the fuel pump to the bottom of the engine
I would assume you mean this one (pic one), that goes into the engine somewhere (pic two). Is gas supposed to go into the line? And am I supposed to be able to suck or blow air into the vacuum line (circled on the 1st pic)?

Attachments

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
does that have drain plugs at the bottom of the front of the motor at all? if so pull them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't see any. I connected a gas line straight from the fuel tank to the fuel pump, and then connected the two gas lines that go to the carbs and tried turning the engine over, some gas came out but wasn't very forceful. Could it maybe just be the fuel pump went bad?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
no it has to have the line going to the motor for the suction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I tried starting it this morning and it flooded almost right away, so I took the plugs off, pulled it a few times, and let it sit for about 30 mins. I tried starting it again and it started! Drove it for a while and it works great! The only problem is starting it, it seems to flood right away. Any suggestions?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
do you have a shut off for the gas line? if so turn the gas off when you are done riding it or put one on it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i wld go back into the fuel pump and make sure you put it togeather properly... there shld be no fuel in the suction line, also u can get new diaphrams and seals for like $7 for those pumps... other than that the inlet needle and seat in the carbs cld be sticking open if its the metal ones i always lightly sand then w emery cloth before installing them and if its the rubber tip ones i always replace them w the metal ones. And also yes u can use the same oil in the little cap as u use in the big cap...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So... Rode it today and then it just all the sudden started bogging really badly. Took it inside and found out the cable for the oil injection broke. Do I need to buy new cables for everything (because the throttle splits into 3)? Or can I take it apart where it splits? Thanks for the help so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts