Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just signed on and this is a first post.

Purchased an 87 excel 3 for my kids a few weeks ago. It was very hard to start at first and ran crappy. Pulled the carb off and cleaned it all up, the jet had crud in it, adjusted the air screw to 1 1/2 turns, and then put it all back together. Checked the plugs, they looked fine so I did a quick touch up with some emery cloth. Pulled the cord once and it fired right up and ran great.

It had a 1/2 tank of really old gas and we left it in but also topped it off with fresh stuff. It ran good, but I could tell it could run better when we got some completely fresh gas in. I told my boys to run it until it completely ran out of gas.

Well, that happened today. So my boys went and put in all fresh fuel into the tank. But now it won't start at all. They say it had one little sputter, and then that was it.

What do you all think? Does it need priming? By running it empty, did we introduce crud back into the carb? Or could it be something else?

·
Registered
75 Posts
quite possibly a bit of both try spraying a bit of mixed fuel directly into the carbs and see if she goes it may take a few tries but if it didnt take in much crud it should be ok does it have a inline fuel filter if so check it

·
Registered
223 Posts
Air bubble in the fuel line before the carb? Maybe take the fuel line off the carb, pull it over a few times and see if gas comes out of it. This will show you the fuel pump is working and it will allow that air bubble out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went and put some mixed fuel directly into cylinders, took 3 tries but got it stay running on the third. Seems to be fine now.

Thanks!

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Welcome aboard! Make sure you syphon all of the old gas and get it out of the lines BEFORE you clean the carbs next time. You may have more crap in your carbs already.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i would take a little cap and fill it with gas/oil and pour it down the cylinder. I bet the motor just needs primed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts