Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 Yamaha XL-V 540 It is breaking up and backfiring under a load
This sled has 190 miles on it and was sitting in a barn for many years before I got it
I drained the gas, cleaned the tank and cleaned the carb.
the jets were all clogged Did I miss something?
Could this be carb. related or maybe ignition
Sled idles fine
Thanks
Mike

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Carb related. Go through them again to make sure you got everything. My 85 V-Max did that when the carbs were dirty.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Take the carbs completely apart and soak them in carb cleaner or some other solvent to make sure all the passages are clean. Remove the pilot screws, floats, needles, etc. You'd be surprised how many nooks and crannies the carb has in it!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Could be. Run it at idle and spray carb cleaner around the clutch seal and in the recoil area if possible. If idle changes pitch, seals probably need attention.

·
Registered
211 Posts
By no means an expert, but I do have a few toys I upkeep myself...I agree with the others in that more than likely it is a dirty carb. There is a really nice how to on this forum about cleaning carbs, it will walk you right through it. Also think about pulling the airbox and cleaning that up good as well, found that out with my Phazer. I pulled and cleaned the carbs, reinstalled and it ran great for about 50 miles. Got home pulled carbs again and they were gunked up again, the airbox was very dirty and all the dirt from it was being sucked into carbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts