Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wisconsin Brapper
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pretty good condition yami just yesterday. I know just bout everything that has been done to it. It just sat for about 5 years in a barn until I stumbled on it while with my brother in law. I just got done cleaning most of the rat crap and nesting out. Doesn't look like any wires for the wiring harness are chewed. Just wondering what the problem might be??? :dunno: I was thinking the CDI but it could be something different. The voltage reg. is fine and works. I dont know what it could be. :dunno:

·
Wisconsin Brapper
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know what could be the problem??????

·
Registered
255 Posts
Easy place to start is check plug wires and caps, and of course spark plugs which I'm sure you changed already. Possible the ignition(primary) coil is no good, since it sat that long, maybe rusty,crusty in there behind the flywheel. But I'd start with the other items first, since easy to get to. You may luck out.

·
Wisconsin Brapper
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so most likely the ignition itself? Ive already messed with the plug wires, there good.

·
Wisconsin Brapper
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you talking bout the enitre wiring harness or just unplug the cdi?

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
The harness to the rest of the sled, ie. headlights, taillight, switches, etc. You may have to jumper a wire, but I'm not sure.

·
Wisconsin Brapper
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright. Ill pull out the entire wire harness then. should the CDI stil create spark without the wire harness?

·
Wisconsin Brapper
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
should i cross the kill switch too then so it doesnt affect the spark?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sputters and Backfires when warm

85 SS 440. I am having the same trouble. Sled runs great when cold then sputters and backfires. We have new plugs. Someone said to replace the coil. Which coil would that be? The source coil, ignition coil, the external coil?

·
Registered
265 Posts
85 SS 440. I am having the same trouble. Sled runs great when cold then sputters and backfires. We have new plugs. Someone said to replace the coil. Which coil would that be? The source coil, ignition coil, the external coil?
Ignition cool is prolly bad once it heats up it quits working. Replace that see if it fixes your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sputters and Backfires when warm

Did you ever figure out the problem? Having the same issue with my Phazer and have replaced every electrical piece with no change.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Better off starting a new post. This one is 9 years old. You will get a better response.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts