Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

You guys have been so helpful with my other issues so I got one more for ya. My 85 SRV 540 takes 25-30 pulls to start from cold. Once started it runs awesome. Once warmed up 1 pull and it starts. Once it gets cold again, same issue, 25-30 pulls. My buddy's sled is the same sled and his starts 2-3 pulls when cold. What could cause my issue?

I have cleaned the carb, replaced fuel lines, fuel pump and fuel filter, looks like gas is in the lines when i go to start it from cold so it can't be that it has to fill the lines first. I'm lost. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello.

You might check your choke, and adjust it. If it is hard starting cold, they might be out of adjustment. Check if the chokewire is to loose, and adjust til there is 2-3 mm slack before it opens the plunger.
Is your compression good? I suppose so when it starts easily warm.

I am from norway so my english is not the best.:eek:

Regards from.

Ole Bach

·
Yamagirl
109 Posts
Sounds like the starter plunger in your carb isn't opening the passage way from the bowl to the throttle bore. Make sure that your starter cable ( some people call this a choke but it is a cold start enrichment valve) is doing something down at the carb. All it does is pull a little brass plunger, with an o ring on it, up off a hole and lets the fuel travel into the thottle bore so that the engine has extra fuel to start with and when the engine is warm you seal the holes back up by shutting off the "starter" and it's job is done. That is why it runs great warm. Undo the cable from the carb and have a look in there and make sure the plunger is moving nicely. If it is ok than the passage may be blocked which also means it isn't getting its extra gas to start cold. I hope this helps Good luck with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the hints. O. Bach, the play is perfect like you stated with the cable. Yamagirl, how does the starter cable work? does it push down on the plunger in the carb or pull up? If I was to take off the starter cable and look down the hole how would I know if it's working properly or not? Can I put a screwdriver down the hole and push and that's how it opens?

Thanks guys and gals.

Mike

·
Yamagirl
109 Posts
Hi mikey. You know the starter switch right ? when you flip it up it pulls the cable. in turn pulling up on a little plunger, and uncovering a hole directly below it. So therefore if the cable is undone from the carb, gently pull the cable out, (there will be a spring and the little brass plunger on the end of the cable watch out it may try to come off.). Now if you look down the bore you will see a hole at the bottom. That hole is the passage to the fuel bowl. Now look down the bore (you may need a flash light) you will see that there is a hole in the side of the bore. When the switch is flipped up, it pulls the cable, which pulls the plunger and lifts the plunger off of the bottom hole allowing fuel to come up into the bore, out the hole in the side, and into the throttle bore, which gives the engine extra fuel to start cold. Now if the plunger is stuck on the bottom the snowmobile won't start cold. If one or both of these passages are plugged it won't start cold. If the cable is not lifting the plunger high enough to expose both holes it will not start cold. I hope this helps.. Sorry to be so long winded but I find it hard to describe stuff if I don't use alot of words.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello again.

It pulls up the plunger.
Have you cleaned the carburator properly and blowed through all the passages and jets with compressed air. Propably some dirt in there somewhere. Cleaned mine on the sx 700 four times before i made it run clean.
Have you checked if the plugs are soaking wet, when starting it cold.Could be flooding.
Check the float and float valve that it works properly and clean/replace it.
Here:
Ronnie's Mail Order for atv parts, atv tires, snowmobile, watercraft and motorcycle featuring an OEM microfiche parts finder.

Hope this helps you.

Best regards.

Ole Bach

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi mikey. You know the starter switch right ? when you flip it up it pulls the cable. in turn pulling up on a little plunger, and uncovering a hole directly below it. So therefore if the cable is undone from the carb, gently pull the cable out, (there will be a spring and the little brass plunger on the end of the cable watch out it may try to come off.). Now if you look down the bore you will see a hole at the bottom. That hole is the passage to the fuel bowl. Now look down the bore (you may need a flash light) you will see that there is a hole in the side of the bore. When the switch is flipped up, it pulls the cable, which pulls the plunger and lifts the plunger off of the bottom hole allowing fuel to come up into the bore, out the hole in the side, and into the throttle bore, which gives the engine extra fuel to start cold. Now if the plunger is stuck on the bottom the snowmobile won't start cold. If one or both of these passages are plugged it won't start cold. If the cable is not lifting the plunger high enough to expose both holes it will not start cold. I hope this helps.. Sorry to be so long winded but I find it hard to describe stuff if I don't use alot of words.
I like a lot of words and a lengthy description as well. Your description IS PERFECT. I am going to the lake this weekend so I will check that out and post back here.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Yamagirl
109 Posts
Hey mikey I am very curious to know how you made out getting your yammy to start cold. Post your findings if you don't mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts