Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I’m new to this forum! I recently bought a Polaris Indy 400 and i’m currently trying to fix it up. I was hoping someone somewhere would know where to find a repair manual for fluids and engine mechanics? I’ve looked online and can’t find anything on it. I was curious about the type of oil and fuel to put in it. The other aspect is I want to find diagrams, if they exist, of tubing and the engine bay to find out what parts i’m missing. Does anyone know where I could find something like this?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Click Polaris then 1985-1995 service manual. I had a '87 Indy 400 and there is clutch upgrades you can do as well. Secondary buttons should be replaced and a gold/black secondary spring instead of the stock red one is a nice upgrade as is one over in the primary. Makes a huge difference in the way it runs. Also plastic skis takes about 20-30lbs off the front end making it a lot easier to steer as well.

Loved that little engine as they can do a lot of rpm's and they can keep up with the 440's and 500 Liquid Cooled if setup correctly. Oil should be Polaris Blue Semi-Sythentic or if you want an upgrade then Polaris VES Gold Full Synthetic or AMSOIL as it won't use as much or smoke as much then. 87 Octane is find for those sleds just make sure you clean the carburetors every preseason if you use it since it usually has 10% Ethanol in it.

·
Super Moderator
2,075 Posts
In that motor you can use about any 2 stroke oil but get snowmobile it is better than out board!
Both Walmart and Farm& Fleet have generic for about $10 bucks a gallon!

·
Registered
793 Posts
go to the Polaris section in this forum and find the stickey that Josh Kidner posted with the 1984-1995 Polaris Shop manual. If you have problems send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I posted the link steep it has that in there along with many other Polaris models.

Also Fleet-Farm doesn't sell it for 10 bucks a gallon here and Walmart..ugh no way. Granted there is only 4-6 places that actually process oil in the states and by that I mean once it leaves the refinery it goes to another place to have additives put in it. You would be surprised at what places have the same oil. Tennessee has some of the bigger brands, I know this because of dad help building the last refinery built in the US in Elwood, Illinois and that is where he retired from after almost 25 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Click Polaris then 1985-1995 service manual. I had a '87 Indy 400 and there is clutch upgrades you can do as well. Secondary buttons should be replaced and a gold/black secondary spring instead of the stock red one is a nice upgrade as is one over in the primary. Makes a huge difference in the way it runs. Also plastic skis takes about 20-30lbs off the front end making it a lot easier to steer as well.

Loved that little engine as they can do a lot of rpm's and they can keep up with the 440's and 500 Liquid Cooled if setup correctly. Oil should be Polaris Blue Semi-Sythentic or if you want an upgrade then Polaris VES Gold Full Synthetic or AMSOIL as it won't use as much or smoke as much then. 87 Octane is find for those sleds just make sure you clean the carburetors every preseason if you use it since it usually has 10% Ethanol in it.

Thank you very much! Those manuals are super helpful

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Mystic Full Synthetic isn't 9.99 here. Up here it is 17.99 for a gallon of Semi-Synthetic. That is the normal price year round for it at least here it is. No difference between the two stores other then the 2 brothers that own it. When the old man died he specified that each would get a certain number of stores and in order to see the difference they swapped the names a little bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts