Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 84 excel 340. it runs perfectly when i’m not moving it around or lifting it, but when i lift either end of the sled it will bog out and die. same thing when i start to move and turn. i just went through the carbs, new plugs, good compression. i don’t know what to do.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Clean or replace your fuel pump. Look at the carbs again just to be sure. Could be your needle/seat isn't set right or the floats are not level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just cleaned the pump, it helped only a little bit. i think it could be the needle, and i’m hoping it is. thank you!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Personally I never clean them or rebuild them. For the cost I just replace them. Even a cheap aftermarket one is 15 bucks. A true Mikuni is 24-28 for the sleds from the '90s. Needle/seats wear out like anything else. I change mine out every 2-3 years with a mikuni rebuild kit. Kit costs me 10-14 bucks per kit and I keep at least 2 kits for each of my carbed sleds. One is a 34mm kit the other takes 38mm kit. Needle/seats are the same but everything else is different. To me the cost vs being stuck out on the trail flooded out or having a bad fuel pump is worth it to me. Last cheap aftermarket pump I bought I used for 10 years and then put it in the back of the sled as a backup while out on the trail. I keep 3-4 sets of plugs, oil, gloves, tow rope, tools, fuel line, fuel pump, a mikuni carb kit as well and numerous other misc items. Between both sleds we have everything covered for the most part unless the engine goes BOOM!

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
Two things
First what is the Temp? At Zero out it might be fine!
Second go back into your carb and check your float.
I bet you are too high, it should shut off as it becomes 'Level'

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
Wait for the cold!
With carb in had bowl off a piece of hose attached, blow into hose and raise the float
The moment you can't pas air is your float setting, this should happen as the float becomes 'Level' with carb body!
If not bend little tab ever so slightly!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts