Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
el Tigre no start. First..honestly..I'm no dummy..certified auto tech..so I know my way around an engine.

I've got two problems. One...one hour I'll have spark..next hour not. No rhymm or reason..just goes away and reappears.

When I do have spark, I can put just a little shot of starting fluid in the cylinders and it will run for a few seconds. I have rebuilt the fuel pump, drained the tanks and carbs. When I pull on the starter rope for a while I pull the plugs and there is some gas on them...so I know fuel has to be getting through.

I needed to take a break. Argg....

·
Snow Destroyer
32 Posts
I can't recall if that model is points or CDI, but if it is points, give them a good cleaning. There may be just a little bit of junk on the contacts and occasionally they contact and occasionally they don't. And if CDI, find a used box that is good and give that a try. It could also be a shorted wire somewhere, or your ignition switch is not contacting properly. I have always found on the older sleds wiring is a problem for me. I generally end up replacing the whole damn works because electrical can drive a person to insanity lol. Good luck!

·
Vintage Sled Pilot
533 Posts
Ihad the same spark issue with my '89 EXT. Turned out the ignition wiring would bind with my steering shaft. Turn the ski's one way, fire. The other way nuttin'. The binding was breaking the connection on the key switch. Check it out.

·
Registered
26,124 Posts
Yep, start by unpluging the 4way coming out of the motor, test. If still no spark, jump the brown and black on the engine side, retest. This will eliminate all the kills.

·
Arctic Addict
102 Posts
Jump the brown to black on the four way to by pass all the kill switches then check for consistent spark. Once you have consistent spark add the switches into the loop one at a time until the spark becomes inconsistent again to isolate which switch is bad. Then either by pass or replace the bad switch. Most likely it is the TSS or the kill switch.

As far as starting on spray by not starting without spray, clean the pilot jet thoroughly. Make sure to floss out the all the small holes on the tube, then it will run. It is not enough to merely drain the tank and the carb as a thorough carb cleaning should be done every season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts