Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be looking at one soon and am just wondering if it's a good deal for $300. It runs good, the seat looks good, the hood looks like it has some damage, I was told the track was good also. Any help? Also, are there any known problems?

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some more pictures of the snowmobile. It doesn't look too bad, but I would like some of your input. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
If everything looks ok, $300 sounds fair. I'd check it over good first. Do a compression test, look at the clutch closely, have them run it and check the crank seals. Look at the track condition, suspension and sliders. Make sure the exhaust is sound. Don't expect everything to be perfect, but you don't want to buy it just to pour $$$$ into it just to make it run.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do the clutches on these have known problems or what? Also he said it ran good. What exactly is there to check as far as suspension on these? Also, what would be good compression?

·
Registered
228 Posts
From what I've seen, Kawasakis are strongly-built, powerful, and comfy sleds. They handle pretty well, and they're dependable. You seldom hear of anything breaking on them at all. Re: the clutches, I don't know how good the clutches are on them; haven't heard anything (which might actually be good!)

The liquid cooled models- i.e. your Invader- are HEFTY and nose-heavy. This isn't a sled you can take off-trail at all, it'll shove its nose into the snow while the track spins. My brother-in-law had an Invader 440 for years and would ride all over New Hampshire on groomed trails, but he transported it to and from the trails by truck and avoided untraveled areas. He never had any trouble with his Kawi other than a couple unplanned off-trail "adventures".

If it needs a lot of work, $300. can seem like a bad deal real quick! But if the sled is in decent shape, $300. is short money.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's actually a 79 unless somebody put a 79 hood on an 80 sled. Check the suspension brackets where they are riveted to the rails for cracks. Common problem if any of the cross shafts bind up. Clutches are pretty reliable. Minimum compression is 90-95 psi. Biggest problems are the crank seals if the sled has been sitting any length of time. They tend to dry out and go bad. If you do get it and need help with anything, head on over to the Kawasakitrax web site.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Also how can you tell it's a 79 not an 80?

·
Registered
162 Posts
1980 kawi

My friend has a 79 invader and he had to repair the brackets on the suspenion as they crack and yes they are not good for breaking trail as they do not have alot of clearance on the track to tunnel.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You were right, it was a 1979. It said the date of mfg was something '78. Also there were no cracks in the rails. I bought it for the price minus the amount of sliders, so I am happy. It started up first pull, and the seals weren't bad. The only problem is the seat needs a couple bolts, a tailight bulb. The hood wasn't perfect, but it was fully functional.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts