Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my first sled and run it for the first and blew the track and cant find one in canada , is there another place i should be looking , and is there another track to fit this machine that would be more accessable to me , artic cat? ski doo? , elan? or outher makes please let me know wanying to get moving again

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yamaha sleds:

76-81 Exciter 340/440
77-78 GP440A,B: GS340 A,B
84-89 Phazer
77 Prestige 440
80 SRV
76-77 SRX 340, 440 & A
78-80 SRX 440
81-83 SS440
76-77 STX 340/440

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thans much, i'm going to see if i can find one in my area. bu i'm shure alot of these makes have been dicontinued and are no longer available but i'm going to find out

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mistaken identaty

after some research i have discovered my sled is not a drifter but aparently a 77 snow jet , any chance any one has a track around for this thing:dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
confused

was told it was an 80 drifter then found out it looks like a snow jet then i'm told no it's an intriguer with a different hood how can i find out for shure, this is getting crazzy , i have no idea what i'v got . how can i get a track for a machine that cant figure out what it is :confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you can post some pics taken from different views; including with the cowl raised, the Kawasaki fans on site can probably help you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1978 intriguer

were they all 440's or did they come with a 340 as well , all i can locate are 440's just wondering what in mine

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hello, the engine in your machine is it afan cooled engine and does it have a fan driven by a belt.These machines are similar to the 77 snojet as that was the time when kawasaki bought out snojet.They stayed with that body style for about three years and then made the change over to the newer intruder and invaders.You can get a 121" by 15" track off of a polaris which will fit by lengthening the slide rail at the back [ lidler wheels] also does the track have any ribs on the inside of the track as the old snojet was driven by the drive sprockets which went through the holes in the track and the kawasaki were driven by the ribs on the inside of the track.Go to www.snojet .com and you will see how to install a 121" track on your machine.Will give you a better ride and better in deep snow.I have a 77 snojet 440 that i did it to and i have the original 440 yamaha fan cooled motor in it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Theres a place in central Minnesota called Tracks USA, he has just about every kind of track ever made, or knows where to get it, and ships all over. Try the website tracksusa.com He also sells rail kits and may know how to set yours up to run the 121x15 track on your sled, once you figure out exactly what you have !!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kawasaki340?

serial #looks like 743204
production code sa940a-a201
certification code 358234a
tag on the side says snow jet. i would asume it's original

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
snow jet or intrigue (please help)

unless tha is not th right body, and or the motor has been swiched would it de safe to asume that it is a 77 snow jet or would it still be the 78 intriguer
at this point i'm guessing maybe a snow jet with an intrigue bonnet brain melt down , what do i need for a track and if i needed more parts what do i get

·
Registered
470 Posts
Glasstron sold Sno Jet to Kawasaki in 1976 and Kawasaki used the Sno Jet name until 1980. What type of motor does this sled have? In 1976 Sno Jet made the Astro SS with a 338cc Yamaha engine. In 1977 Kawasaki produced the Astro 340 with a 339cc Kawasaki and they also produced the SST 340 with the 338 Yamaha engine. By 1978, they were all Kawasaki engines.

·
Registered
185 Posts
production code sa940a-a201
tag on the side says snow jet. i would asume it's original
77 Kawasaki Astro. the 9 has to be either a 3 or a 4 depending on the engine size in it. You could get them with either a 340 or 440 engine. This was the first year for Kawasaki sleds and they still had the Sno Jet name on them also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
looking around on u tube every thing looks right accept for the light there is something different there outher than tha everything matches, so the motor is a yamaha the rest is kawasaki what a mix

·
Registered
470 Posts
So you're sure it's a Yamaha engine? Just to clear things up, here's the specs on the available 1977 and 1978 models.

1977 Models
Astro 340 - 339cc Kawasaki Engine
Astro 440 - 436cc Kawasaki Engine
SST 340 - 338cc Yamaha Engine
SST 440 - 433cc Yamaha Engine

1978 Models
Inviter - 339cc Kawasaki Engine
Intriguer - 436cc Kawasaki Engine
Invader 340 - 339cc Kawasaki Engine
Invader 440 - 436cc Kawasaki Engine
Intruder 440 - 436cc Kawasaki Engine

If you look on the engine for a engine model # it could help definitely id your sled.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here we go again

wit a lot of work and even more help from some good and patient folks on here i think we got the identaty of this sled figured out plates say snow jet motor says snow jet on the left side by the belt, tag on motor says its a 340 with a 339 cc astro motor that makes it a 1977 kawasaki snow jet 340finaly ' thank you all:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
is there much difference between the 77 snow jet and th 78 inviter
not tha it makes a difference if the tracks are the same , i still need a track for it:confused:
any clues as to what track would fit this weather it be a snow jet or inviter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
will the track off an old intruder fit what i belive is a 77 snow jet or a 78 invader i have found one dont want to spend the money if it wont fit

1 - 20 of 32 Posts