Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1980 Artic Cat Panther 440 I have owned forever, and last year I noticed the lights werent working. I finally checked into it today, and still can not figure it out. heres what I do know. It has electric start, so it has a battery. the battery seems to be being charged as it keeps starting the engine no problem. the headlight is VERY dim, taillight,stoplight not working or so dim you cant tell. I disconnected the 4 prong plug going into the magneto and ran a jumper from the battery positive to the yellow wire prong, and another jumper from the battery negative to the brown wire prong, and disconnected the voltage regulator, and now all the lights work like they should. So this eliminates any wireing problems. So I am thinking the voltage regulator maybe?? Accually never knew it till today, but its mounted on the brake assembly. How would I go about figuring out for sure what the problem would be? Seeing as the battery is charging, I would think the voltage regulator and the magneto are working properly. But something is wrong seeing as I have no lights, or VERY dim lights. Unless the voltage regulator is just sending enough juice to charge the battery and only light the lights dimmly? Please help me out here. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Take if off and clean the mount contact (grounds through it's mount). If it gets brighter, that was your problem, if not, then the regulator/rectifier needs replacing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just an update, put a new voltage regulator on and all my lights work perfect now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts