Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an old (I'm 90% sure it's 1980) Arctic cat panther from a friend. It hasn't been run in 11 years and I'm working on fixing it. I got the engine unstuck and am in the process of replacing the belt, when I decided to put some fuel and oil in it and run it. When I poured the oil in it came right out the bottom of the tank. That's when I realized that there is no oil line. Over the years sitting the line has broken into 1 to 3 inch pieces and completely fallen apart. Im new to snowmobiles so I have no idea where to get oil lines. I also don't know what and where the oil lines hook up to. If someone would send me a picture, or a diagram, or explain to me how to hook up the lines, and where I could get replacement lines that would help me a lot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is a post about this subject, well at least where to ge the small oil lines, scroll down a few posts. I’ll try and get some good photos of how they are hooked up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok I can’t get some really good photos, so here’s how it goes... the big line at the base of your tank goes down to your oil pump. The small lines go from oil pump to the nipple like structures under your intake. The one closest to your clutch assembly is tricky and harder to find it’s actually located UNDER the oil pump and runs to the small nipple under your intake as stated before. You only have 3 lines to contend with... the smaller ones and the larger one. Grab a piece of the large one and the small ones ( small ones are the same size) and head to your local lawn mower repair shop.. they should have them.hope this helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That does help a lot but there is one more thing. From what I can see from the fragments of the old lines, there was a line going to the oil level gauge, is there anything I should know about that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see what your talking about with the small lines, those are still intact. I don't see where the big line goes into the pump though

·
Registered
64 Posts
In the thumbnail shown, if you follow the small oil line from the intake to the oil pump... then look directly to the right... you will see where the main oil line coming from the oil tank attaches to the oil pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, looking at it today, I can see.where the lines go, I don't know how the oil gauge works, but I guess I can just get a shorter line and.run it back in on top.

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
Was this in a fire or something?

I would not worry about the sight gauge, they really didn't work after it was a few years old.
Just loop and bypass it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was this in a fire or something?

I would not worry about the sight gauge, they really didn't work after it was a few years old.
Just loop and bypass it.
Ok thanks, and to answer your question, it wasn't on fire but when the oil line broke, it sprayed oil all over everything and over 11 years of sitting and not being used it solidified and turned into this gunk that is caked all over everything inside the engine compartment so I have a bit of cleaning to do

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you guys for the help, I got new lines put in, I just have to get some oil and a new belt. For anyone that has a similar problem in the future, the line running from the tank to the pump is 3/8in and the line for the gauge is 1/4in. Don't be to focused on finding clear tubes because you either won't find it or it will cost alot

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
Most small engine shops carry clear fuel/oil line. I use Tygon line when possible, it's proved to be very durable over time. Tygon seems to hold up and fit tighter than black rubber line, as well.

You will have to post some "after" pics once you get it cleaned up!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts