Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have a 1980 340.

I did some Work to it and now I am at a loss.

The motor runs backwards. Yes backwards

so I had a bad stator and so I changed it. Now I can’t find the right position for it.

I at least have spark and the engine will backfire.

when I pull the cord a couple of times it locks up and pulls me into the engine.
When it does this the next pull it starts by backfire and tje motor runs backwards. I mean it will turn the track backwards. I DONT HAVE REVERSE ON MY SLED.

Need some ideas here.

thx
Tim

·
Administrator
19,552 Posts
A two-stroke doesn't care which direction it runs. My PERC sleds have reverse because the engine electronically retards to the point of dying, then just as the engine almost dies, it starts up again backwards. It sounds like you have a timing issue. Maybe start by advancing the timing a bit to see if that helps? Hopefully someone on here with a 340 manual can lend a hand on how to set the timing...

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Probably swapped the charge and trigger wires. Both put out enough to give enough spark to fire, but if swapped, it would fire about 20% BTDC. I did this on my 85 Tundra. Aftermarket CDI and I got the charge and trigger wires backwards. It would fire sometimes forward, sometime it would rip the cord out of my hands (Had shoulder surgery due to it ripping my shoulder really bad) and it can actually fire and run backwards.

I fired up my Tundra and discovered it was running backwards and I thought, hey cool reverse on that old machine. Applied a little throttle to watch it move backwards and it moved about 3" and then the clutch fell off... d'oh!

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Try putting the stator in another location
What? Not really re-locatable as it is a coil wrapped around the crankshaft. hehe, I think you're thinking of the CDI or coil...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts