Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

My buddy has a 1979 Arctic Cat Pantera 5000. Nice sled but it has some idling problems. It ran find last year and then he ran it out of gas. Ever since then it won't stay started while idling. If we get it revving up it runs perfect but as soon as it revs down to idle then you have to keep on the throttle to keep it going.

We rebuilt the carb and I got a repair manual for it that shows how to tune it so the throttle stop screw and air screw should be set correctly. All of the jets were spotless when we took it apart so I don't think anything is clogged.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you run a piece of stranded wire threw the pilot get (in the tube)? Is the choke plunger set?
No I did not. It soaked in gas for a few days and looked fine but I didn't push wire through it.

As for the choke, I'm not positive on how to set the choke plunger. The choke does work but was unaware it actually needed to be "set".

I'm new to the repair world and trying to learn all I can as the problems arise.

Thanks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Gas isn't the best thing to soak a carb in to clean. Use a carb cleaner to soak and remove the deposits and varnishes left by gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts