Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people. I'm running into an issue with my 1979 Kawasaki invader 340 I got the sled for free it's been sitting for about 10 years figured the price was right so I'll fix it. Lol. Put new fuel lines on it, cleaned the carbs, fuel pump, and gas tank, put it back together and it ran excellent purred like a kitten. Then I noticed the fuel pump was leaking gas so I ordered a new one. Put it on and then choke cable broke cuz the plunger was stuck on the carb. Now it idles really high (3000 rpm) and anytime I try to adjust the idle down it stalls and won't start unless I choke it even when warm. Cleaned the carbs again, no different. I'm confused and would appreciate some input from a knowledgeable mechanic thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Welcome
Sounds like an intake air leak.
Spray carb cleaner or starting fluid around the carb boots and crank seal
as it is running and see if RPM changes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that already and nothing changed. Sprayed carb cleaner at the crank seals nothing but on a positive note I don't have to change the seals. Would weak compression cause this?

·
Super Moderator
62 Posts
Weak compression is unlikely to cause that but what is the compression ? The engine might be messed up internally anyway and require a teardown.
Air leaks by the carb boots ? Take a look anyway at them for cracking. Also, it's difficult to spray near the rewind asm for that seal. It too could be shot. It is an old machine.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much I will definitely try that and Im checking the compression tonight after work. Have a good day

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I figured out the problem folks!!! If I manually choke the left carburetor with my hand the sled dies but when I do it to the right carburetor it revs up higher, has brand new carburetor boots so my diagnosis would be the right side crank seal is bad.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Replace both of them. For some reason, the crank seals did not last on Kawi snowmobile engines. Every one I have ever owned had needed new seals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts