Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a older kawasaki sled i saved from the junk yard. I was told its a drifter but it doesnt look like them. Someone also told me its a intrugier. Does anyone know about the intrugiers? Hard to find/good sled/ peice of crap sled? i dont know anything about old kawasakis. Just wondering if its worth fixing up, needs windshiled, seat and track. the paper work says its a 79 kawasaki but i fit is an intrugier, i cant find any made after 78

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ya pics would help. Also, is there a possibility of it being an invader? It depends on how much you paid for it and how much the parts are going for to see if it's worth fixing. Also, I know sleds go for different prices in different areas. That's another factor too. I just bought a '79 Invader 440 liquid cooled sled for $275. It ran good started up first pull. It needs sliders, a tailight, a back cover for the storage compartment in the seat, and whatever holds the gas cap. Maybe that gives you an idea?

·
Registered
259 Posts
The Intriguers were only made in '78. If you're sure its a 79, than it's something else. Is it liquid, fan, or free air cooled? That'll narrow it down alot.

Or post pics.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know its not intruder or drifter because the hood and headlights are diffrent, intrugier looks closest. The registration says its a 79 but the vin number isnt whats on the tunnel. Vin on the tunnel is 745304, is their a way to look up the model by that? It is fan cooled. I got it for 40 bucks. Here are some pics of it

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have you found the parts? If so how much? It looks to be in decent shape. I would say if you can fix it up for around 200 do it, but it's ultimately up to you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am interested in fixing it up, im assuiming with a track, new skis, carbides, slides, clutch rebuild, ect... probly be 3 to 400 houndred. Im just wondering if its a rare sled that a collector would appreciate more than me. I also suck at fiberglass and paint so i dont know how i would fix the cracks in the hood. Is their a company that can make new hoods for these older sleds?

·
Registered
42 Posts
0ld kwi

as far as i can see it looks like a 79- 80 drifter it's eyedentical to mine that also needs a track but mine is a 340 that works great

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
It is a '78 Intriguer, But the hood is from an Inviter and/or has been repainted.

It was only made for one year, so yes it is somewhat rare.

Nice score for $40! I'd try fix it up!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I also suck at fiberglass and paint so i dont know how i would fix the cracks in the hood. Is their a company that can make new hoods for these older sleds?
Don't let that throw you. Fiberglassing isn't black magic. You can find instructions online.

Basically, from the back side, you grind away from the crack at a 12:1 ratio over your thickness. So, if your cowl is 1/8" thick, you grind out from the crack about 1-1/2". You want to grind almost through at the crack itself,then feather it out until you reach the edge. When you lay on your 'glass, cut the pieces in gradually larger sizes. Start with a narrow piece right over the crack, then add gradually wider pieces until the ground-out area is filled in completely. Don't lay the pieces with the weave in the same direction....lay each piece so the weave faces across the weave from the last piece. You can also alternate 'glass cloth with mat.

This will make a bullet proof repair that won't break.

If you want it to be absolutely factory-fresh looking, you can sand off the gelcoat over the repair, then replace it with some more. You'll have to sand and polish it in to make it blend with the old gelcoat, then repaint.

Hope this is some use to you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
kawi 440 ?

not shure why i'm getting these e mails , my ride is a kawi 340 ? but i have no use for fiberglassin my machine is intact

·
Registered
42 Posts
cat track

is there any chance that a n artic cat track fit thie 78 intriguer they are bouth 15 inches wide dont know the length YET not willing to strip bouth an a maybe

·
Registered
228 Posts
not shure why i'm getting these e mails , my ride is a kawi 340 ? but i have no use for fiberglassin my machine is intact
You're getting the e-mails because you've made entries into this thread. You will receive automatic notices when someone posts to it.

It doesn't necessarily mean someone is trying to address something about your sled.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The sled in the pics has a 116" long track,but a 121" track can be modified to fit.Give you better deep snow trail breaking over the 116" track.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts