Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1978 yamaha exciter 440. I hooked up the fuel lines but not sure if they are right. The original fuel lines rotted away. I hooked them up thinking that thry were right but no gas is running through the lines. I poured gas into the the tank but there is still no fuel in the lines. If anyone knows how to hook the fuel lines up and why no fuel is in the lines please let me know. Thanks.

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
maybe your fuel filter is on wrong

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the same one from when it was purchased. im starting to wonder if the tank is clogged up or the fuel filter is broke. it has also been sitting for a while but seems to run off of starting fluid when i put it in where the spark plug goes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree W/ Ryan check your line inside the tank... I had a 95 XC that i couldnt figure out why it would run then i realized the line inside the tank had fallen or rottod off... a good way to check if you cant see it in there is - Take the fuel line off where the Cock to turn the gas on and off is then blow air in the line towards the tank (make sure gas cap is off) you will either here it blowing air or bubbles... youll know its on their if you hear the bubbles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
fuel pump? Thats was another issue i had with that XC... Also if the bottom side of the pistons is messed up it will not create enough vacum to pull the fuel... But if that were the case you could start it with a shot of starting fluid then it would pull the fuel. Pump is the only other thing I know to check... are you certain there is no gas getting into the line? or are the carbs gummed up and not getting into the cylinders?

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
You will have to take the gas tank cover off, then remove the spring and rubber boot on the top of the tank, where 3 lines go in. Then there is a plastic tube to remove, goes down to 1/4" from the bottom of the tank. your fuel line and filter are in there. Replace parts as needed, and reassemble.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I was thinking that it might be the fuel pump to. The carb probly isn't gummed up because the fuel lines rotted away. Ill try those things and if that doesn't work ill have to pull apart the gas tank and replace the fuel filter and fuel line if they need to be. thanks guys.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
The carbs ARE probably what is wrong with it.

Also is the pulse line from the crankcase attached to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Take the gas cap off and blow in the tank I use this to sort of prime up my lines after putting new lines on the fuel pump and carb. If you see fuel in the line then its probably the fuel pump.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
The fuel pump does operate on this pulse line, if the pump has this line rotted or broken, or clogged, it could cause this problem. Also, if the fuel evaporated, it would leave varnish, which would clog the jets. pull the jets off, run carb cleaner through them and blow compressed air through them, then follow up with a fine wire through them. Use the carb cleaner and compressed air for all of the passages in the carb as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh forgot to mention you have to plug external vents or overflows some used the gas caps to vent but I know some have vents in the top of the tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that would make sense i have to figure out if i got the fuel lines hooked up corectly but that would make sense since there is no fuel even running into the line out of the gas tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts