Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1978 Jag 3000 FA........it was very hard to start i had to pour gas down the carb for it to start....it would then run fine....but as soon as you turned it off you would have to do the same thing again. Now it wont start at all....it is getting spark. it is getting gas but sometimes when i turn it over gas spews out the top of the cylender. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Had a similar problem with my '80 Jag a week ago. It was running fine, but after I shut it off, it was *real* hard to get started again. I yanked the plugs and checked for spark. It had spark, but it was very weak. I popped a new plug in it, and got a nice bright blue spark. Changed both plugs, gave it a pull, and it fired and ran. I think the low speed yard riding I had been doing fouled them.

I'd say change the plugs as the first thing to try.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
You're talking about with the plugs out, right? Yes, it would splash some fuel mist out the open hole when I pulled it over. It's not gushing out in a constant stream though.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It has a choke. I need to use full choke, and pull it 5 times to start it when it is cold. It usually starts first pull when it is warm (no choke).

Does it remain running after you pour fuel in the carb, or just run for a few seconds?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it usually stays runnign with a little wokr of the throttle to keep it going at the start but after that it stays running fine untill i turn it off myself with the switch

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
geofflake said:
it usually stays runnign with a little wokr of the throttle to keep it going at the start but after that it stays running fine untill i turn it off myself with the switch
Then it won't start again... ???

Sounds more like a gas problem to me. Give this a few minutes... and wait for smallengineguy to chime in. He'll know what to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the engine apart tongiht and there is a bunch of gas or some type of fluid in the crank case......the pistins look alight although one side has a bit of scratching on it.....do i just need new rings or do i need new pistons as well???

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Did you do a compression test first? If it's just minor scratching, hone the cylinders, replace the rings and get a top end gasket set for it. The piston will be Ok if just minor. The crankcase is full of fuel, definite carb problem. Remove and clean the carbs while it's apart.

·
Registered
27 Posts
also make sure some of the fuel lines do not have a small unnoticeable crack. This can also lead to hard starting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the pistons both have scratching on them enough that you can feel them with your fingers. if i just replace the rings would this stop the fuel in the crankcase.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the carbs are clean.....how do i adjust the amounts of fuel on the carb.....i can send a pick of the carb if that would help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts