Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1978 Arctic Cat Jag 3000 (340 cc). I bought it at an auction and when i brought it home, i put a new fuel line on it and it fired right up several times, until one time it quit. After pulling out the plugs and testing for spark, there was no spark at all. Where there used to be a key switch, a toggle switch was installed to replace it. The toggle switch seemed old so i replaced it and still no spark. I had the Coil tested and it is good. So is it the CDI box, and is there a way to find out before i by one? What other things could it be that would make it have no spark. And is theree a way to by pass the ignition switch and the kill switch. there is 2 brown, 1 black wire, that were atached to the 1st toggle switch and 2 green wires that were not!! Help i want to get this beast up and sparking again!!!!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Congrats on the Jag! I bought a 1980 3000F/C over the summer. The thing is in really great shape.

Could be lots of things... unfortunately.

I bought a 550ZL with no spark. Turned out to be a bad flywheel. The magnets had come loose on it...

There are (2) black wires going to the ignition switch on my 1980. There's one in the bundle (can't tell what color, but it has a round FEM connector on the end of it) that isn't connected to anything.

It's *not* electric start.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
I know on most older sleds, just unplug the harness from the engine itself, usually located near the recoil somewhere. If it still has no spark, it's the coil or CDI. How are you testing for spark.? The "lay the plug on the engine" method isn't always the best way.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
geofflake said:
DO u have a toggle switch or a key switch?
Mine is a key switch. That's why I specified that it is NOT electric start. It is only a 2-wire switch. The third wire in the harness is not connected to anything.

BTW, if you set your cat on the engine block, and put the spark plug in its mouth... then pull the engine over gently... that's always a good way to check for spark. Oh, never mind. I'll probably get all kinds of nasty remarks from cat-lovers now. :rolleyes: Still - you can use this method 8 times, before you have to go get another cat! :D

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
geofflake said:
I am using the place plug on engine method
See if you can get one of those neon spark testers to check it. If you unplug the harness at the engine, you should get spark, if not, it's the CDI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts